13. What's a Marsquake?

13. What's a Marsquake?: Xander's Pov

QOTC- Apple or Android?

"This isn't going well." I groan in frustration. Charlotte's still asleep, but I already know what the gauze on her arm is covering.

I thought that she was clean for the last week. She had no access to any sharp objects so I thought that she didn't hurt herself anymore. 'If mate talks to us, then we'll know how to help her.' my wolf says.

'I know.' I agree with him. If Charlotte just tells me what's on her mind, then helping her get through everything will be easier for the both of us.

The only emotion that we've talked about was fear; and that was a brief conversation. She told me what Red Stone did to her, but she didn't go into depth about it.

At the moment, I don't know how she feels about us or what goes on in her mind that caused her to cut. Same thing goes for marking; I could tell that she was about to let me mark her, but then something held her back. All I need is for her to give me consent and I'll officially mark her as mine.

It's not clear if she knows what value a mate is to their spouse. I'm just hoping that she doesn't think that she's only my mate so that I can continue the Alpha bloodline. She doesn't understand how torn I would be if I lost her again.

'We should do something special for mate.' my wolf suggests.

'Like what?'

'Let's take her to the cabin.' he howls in delight. 'No one else will be at the lake.'

'We'll do it today.' I grin as I think of how happy and relaxed Charlotte will be once the day is over. Fancy and luxurious doesn't appeal to her.

We'll probably go swimming and then go for a run through the woods once we get to the cabin. "Where'd your shirt go?" a soft voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"It got hot so I took it off." I shrug. "What are you staring at?"

She gives me a confused look before answering, "Why are your nipples so dark?"

****

"You know how to swim, right?" I ask.

"Yes." she answers, looking out the window. She smiles once she sees the cabin and lake come into view.

"That's why I told you to put on your swimsuit." I slow the car down so that we can park in the grass and get out. "We're staying overnight here."

"Is this your property?"

"Yep." I say popping the 'p'. "Let's go put our stuff down so we can jump in the water."

I rush to get to the other side of the car so that I can open the door for her. I know that she's perfectly capable of doing it on her own, but I enjoy being a gentleman for my girl. "This is where I go to get away from everything." I inform as we enter the wooden cabin. "You're the only other person besides me that's ever been here."

"Really?"

I nod and place our bags on the bed. "What's wrong?" I ask putting a finger under her chin. Her lips take the form of a frown and she plays with the hem of her cotton shirt.

"What's in your mind?" I try figuring out what she's thinking, but it's no use. I'll only be able to do that if I mark her.

"The bikini," she answers. "It shows all of my scars."

She looks away from me and plays with her fingers. "I don't care if you have scars." I tell her. "You look perfect no matter what."

"But they look disgusti-"