(5) sleepy

"Hey. What time is it?"

"...."

"Keefe?"

Sophie rolled onto her stomach and stared down at her boyfriend from her bed. "Keefe. Wake up."

The Empath was spread-eagled on her petal-covered rug, snoring softly. Iggy, also snoring, was curled up in the crook of Keefe's neck. Sophie could barely see the fuzzy orange outline of the imp in the darkness.

"Keefe!" she hissed.

He jolted awake and sat up abruptly, blinking wide blue eyes. "Awake! I'm awake." Iggy grumbled his annoyance and scampered away to another corner of Sophie's room.

"Keep your voice down, idiot," she growled. She scooted off her bed and laid an ear against the door. "I don't think anyone heard. We got lucky this time."

Keefe rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hand. "Yeah, remember that other time Grady knocked, and you jumped, like, twenty feet away from me—"

"That was really too close," Sophie groaned. 

She recalled her adopted father staring at the two in puzzlement when he had opened the door that time.

"Aren't you two supposed to be studying?" he had said.

Keefe had shot Sophie a look of terror. What now?

Sophie was stammering, "I, yeah, sorry Dad, we just... got off-track."

Keefe had nodded in agreement. "It's kind of hard to focus when there's, you know, an imp flying around the room..."

Grady's eyebrows were raised. "Okay, you two... just checking to make sure you if needed anything."

-

"Soph."

Sophie opened her eyes. "Hmm?"

"You fell asleep." Keefe grinned.

She sat up. "Oh. I don't remember that happening."

Keefe was lying beside her on the rug, propped up with an elbow. "Yeah, you just crawled over and curled up next to me. You must be dead tired, Foster." He grinned.

"Well, whose idea was it to sneak out and pull an all-nighter in my room to see the sunrise?"

It was dark, but Sophie could practically hear him rolling his eyes. "Fine, you have a point. Do you want me to leave?"

"No. Don't." She flopped back down and turned on her side. "I never said I didn't like the idea."

Keefe smirked at her with half-closed eyes. "Yeah, but we're both going to regret it in the morning."

"Actually, Keefe, it is morning."

He settled next to her and pulled her closer to him. Sophie breathed in the scent of his lemony shampoo. "So... are you beginning to regret it now?" His breath was warm on her cheek.

Sophie smiled drowsily. "Well... I can't decide just yet."

"Oh, really?"

"Oh really."

They stared at each other in silence, simply studying the other's face. Sophie admired the faint line of freckles underneath Keefe's eyes that trailed across his nose. His mouth seemed to be permanently crooked to one side, giving him the appearance of a troublemaker. Gosh, she thought, he's really beautiful.

Keefe snickered. "You said that out loud, idiot."

She glared playfully, but her cheeks were burning. "Shut up, Keefe."

"Make me." His eyes gleamed.

Sophie raised an eyebrow. "Sure." She tilted her head up and kissed him, firmly but gently.

It was sweet and lasted only a few seconds, but in the silence and darkness of the room it seemed more like a couple hours to Sophie.

She was still smiling when Keefe pulled away slightly, laughing. "Nice one, Foster."

They fell asleep pressed up against each other, nose to nose, legs tangled on the petal-covered rug, smiling sleepily at the other even though it was too dark to see.