Chapter One - Unwelcome Visitors

Unwelcome Visitors

Seattle, Washington, Present Day

"Good evening, Victoria," the man before her said with a sneer. His rough accented voice was tinged with contempt, sending shudders of unease down her spine.

Victoria O'Hare fought to hide her discomfort, scowling at the two men standing on her doorstep. It was late and she'd just been about to reach a new high score on Halo.

"We would like a word," the stranger stated, glaring down at her.

Fear jumped in her gut. Shouldn't have answered the door. What had she been thinking? She cursed herself. She was twenty-six years old, she knew better. Rule number one, never open the door to strangers in the middle of the damn night! Stupid, stupid!

Rain poured in torrents, the sound seeming far too loud in her ears. Thunder crashed, lightning streaking across the sky. For one brief moment the night was lit with brilliant blues and yellows, highlighting the two strangers in the eerie light.

The one in front was tall and muscular, droplets of water running down his black hair and strong jaw. She couldn't deny that he was possibly the most handsome man she'd ever seen, despite the clear glare of arrogance in his dark blue eyes.

His companion was equally attractive, but with a slim build and fair complexion. Lightning flashed again and she couldn't stop the startled gasp as his eyes gleamed in the night. Red. He had blood red eyes.

What the hell?

Her knuckles turned white as she tightened her grip on the door, ready to slam it shut. She didn't know who these weirdos were, and she had no intention of finding out. "I don't know you, please leave," she stated, moving to shut the door.

A large hand shot out, pressing firmly against the wood. She winced, unable to budge it.

Not good.

The dark stranger gave the door a rough shove, causing her to stumble back. The two men entered as if they owned the place, slamming the door shut behind them. Survival mode kicked in. Shit, what do I do? Make a run for it? Scream?

Before she could settle on a course of action the massive male spoke, "My name is Vincent Shaw. And we are here to discuss a matter with your father, Mathew O'Hare."

That caught her attention. Just what kind of trouble did Dad get into now? Her dad always seemed to find trouble. He suffered from severe depression, he drank a bit too much, and gambled money they didn't have. More than once she'd had to break into what little money she'd managed to save to bail him out of one situation or another. But whatever troubles her dad had gotten himself into over the years it had always been petty things. Not scary men showing up in the middle of night things!

"He's not here," she lied, straight faced.

"Victoria?"

She bit back a groan, speak of the devil. Great timing, Dad.

Her father hovered on the staircase, wide eyes staring in shock at the three of them. He was a good looking man, but worn out. His depression left him gaunt, dark circles under his eyes. Many times she'd tried to imagine what he must have looked like before her mother had died and his whole life had fallen apart.

The simple truth was, Dad never got over her mother's death. Growing up she'd had no idea of how badly he'd suffered. In her eyes he was the happiest man alive, both a mother and father to her.