Part 1: Ch. 1

I watch as Jason brings bags and boxes inside. When I've had enough of watching this stranger move his things into my house, I decide to go upstairs. "I'm going upstairs," I say.

He nods then goes back outside to continue bringing in his things. When I get upstairs, I tug off my clothes and put on my bikini. The pool sounds nice on such a summer day. I push up my sunglasses and turn around. When I step into the hall, I hit a hard chest. "Sorry -" I say. When my eyes meet a set of blue ones, I freeze. "Who are you?"

Stepping back, I look over him. He's tall - really tall. His brown hair falls over his forehead a little and his skin is sun kissed. "I would ask you the same but I already know. You're the evil step sister," he smirks.

I cross my arms which only makes him look down at my chest that is only partially covered by my bikini. "Do you have a name, pervert?"

Smirking, his eyes meet mine once again. "Maddox. You know, they usually make the evil step sisters ugly in the movies."

"Don't worry, you can be my ugly step sister," I smile.

"Which makes you Cinderella?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"If the shoe fits," I shrug.

He chuckles. "We'll have to see about that, Cinderella."

"Excuse me," I say, growing more annoyed with each passing second.

"Your highness," he bows, waving me past him.

I roll my eyes before walking past him.

Maddox.

I've never thought about having a brother. Now I have a cute one. Did I really just say that? Shaking my head, I mentally punch myself. He looks nothing like his father but he does get his height from him. Jason's six foot five and I think Maddox is an inch or two shorter. Then there's me - coming in at a little over five foot - I'm five four and a half.

When I get downstairs, I look for my mother. Crossing my arms over my chest, I stand before her. "When exactly were you gonna tell me about Maddox?" I ask.

My mom and Jason have been dating for about six months. She tried hiding their relationship but I kind of knew she was seeing someone. I didn't meet him until their flight to Vegas. She brought him over, told me they were getting married in Vegas, and I congratulated them. Hours later, they got married in Vegas. When they got home, he started moving his stuff in.

There wasn't much time for getting to know him. "Don't give me that look, Hadley," she says, rolling her eyes. "I wasn't sure how you'd react so I didn't say anything." I glare at her. "Look," she sighs, "I didn't expect him to be over so soon. I was gonna tell you. Really."

"Well, I don't want a brother," I say, sticking my nose up in the air.

"Hadley..." my mom whispers. "I'm happy. I just want to be happy."

My whole 'brat' episode is over when I see the look on her face. She deserves to be happy. She spent eighteen years raising me by herself. Every woman needs intimate love and she hasn't had that in over eighteen years. I sigh. "I'm sorry mom. Things will be okay."

She smiles sadly. "I know."

We hug for a moment longer then necessary then she let's me go. "I'm gonna go out to the pool."

"Okay," she nods.

I go out the back door and grab the net. There's always a few leaves that get blown in. When I get down to the last one, the wind blows and the water shifts, sending it to the other side of the pool. I stand on the very edge, glancing down at the deep end, as I reach the pole for the last leaf. "Don't fall, Cinderella," Maddox chuckles from behind me.