CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Naturally, Remus had no qualms or objections regarding Margaret accompanying them to his father's home

Naturally, Remus had no qualms or objections regarding Margaret accompanying them to his father's home. He figured that once Lyall met Eleanor, he would be more than curious to find out who the mother was of his grandchild. Of course, it was not solely his decision to make as he and Eleanor waited on Margaret's answer. She seemed entirely surprised by the invitation as she glanced back and forth between the two. At one point, it appeared as though she was going to decline and come up with an excuse as to why she was going to stay behind, but as Eleanor took her hand and held it in her own, there was no way she could back out of it then.

"I would love to go," Margaret answered softly with a smile, "if you'll just allow me some time to get ready, we can leave shortly."

Both Eleanor and Remus nodded their heads before Margaret left the room to get ready and Eleanor turned to him with a bright grin.

"If you want to shower too, you can use the bathroom upstairs," she offered to him, noting his suitcase by the door, "I'm sure you'll be finished long before Mum. There are fresh towels in the cupboard across it and there are bars of soap under the sink."

"Are you trying to say I smell, Ellie?" Remus asked, his expression appeared offended and had one of his brows raised in a questioning manner. He could only watch as Eleanor's face paled and she quickly began shaking her head.

"N-n-no!" she stammered. "I wasn't trying to imply that at all! I just figured since you stayed the night and slept on the sofa that you would want to freshen up before we left. But you don't smell at all, I swear! I was just- "

Suddenly, her rambling came to an end as Remus started laughing. Eleanor pursed her lips together, realising her father's attempt to poke fun at her. It wasn't something she was used to within the household, mostly because it was only recently that Margaret had taken on a more laidback approach to parenting.

"I walked myself into that one," Eleanor said with a nervous laugh, "didn't I?"

Remus only smiled to himself as he summoned his suitcase over with his wand and headed upstairs, leaving Eleanor to venture into the sitting room alone.

Everything felt so incredibly surreal during such moments as she could hear the sound of her mother singing in the shower. She couldn't remember the last time she had heard Margaret sing in the home and even though nothing had changed physically within the home, everything suddenly felt brighter if that made any sense. The Ross household no longer felt gloomy or much like a prison anymore.

And even though only a short period of time had passed since the reveal of Remus being her father, quite literally only a day, Eleanor hoped that his presence would become more within the family. All the times she had dreamed about having her family whole, it had been in a traditional sense, where her parents were happy together. It was too soon to ask if either Margaret or Remus had any plans to pick up where they had left off.