One

"Are you ready?"

Liv is staring at me intently, with concerned eyes that convey the question I know she really means to ask, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes, I've told you all a thousand times, I have to do this," I assure them, grateful that my underlying nerves didn't stray into my voice. Of course, I can't lie to myself; I am nervous about traveling to the Other Side. Extremely nervous, if I'm being honest with myself. One question kept floating around in my mind: what if something goes wrong?

But the alternative, the much more likely alternative outcome, was more than enough to push me to do this: Bonnie and Damon being back home, reunited with the people who've missed them deeply for the past four months. Sitting around here in Mystic Falls–a place I call home, that now just seems off in the witch and vampire's absences–isn't something I can bear any longer, knowing they're out here, locked in a strange magical place of isolation that I didn't quite understand the details of.

So I square my shoulders, sucking down a hefty lungful of air, preparing to be pulled away from the world. Just for a few minutes. Tops.

For Bonnie and Damon, I sternly remind myself.

"Be careful, Char," Elena says, failing to hide the worry in her voice. I smile softly at my older sister and nod.

"You too, Liv," She adds, turning to her. "I want you guys back safe."

"Thanks." Liv gives her a small smile. "We should be okay."

Stefan, Elena, Liv, and Caroline are watching me, and all of their expressions hold concern, knowing the great risk I'm taking. The original plan was for Stefan and Elena to be sent to the Other Side, but keeping two vampires there for at least an hour was too much of a strain on Liv's magic. Luke, being the more powerful twin, could have managed but he refused to help us and continue to be our, in his words, "magic monkeys."

Keeping one human and herself there for an hour, however, was much more doable for Liv and so, I offered my help. They were reluctant, but I was relentless so they eventually accepted, though they repeatedly expressed their worries.

"Liv can go alone," Stefan had told me the day before, eyebrows furrowed. "You don't have to put yourself at risk."

"Stefan," I sighed. "You guys may not understand, but I have to do this, okay? I just... I owe them this much, you know? Damon and Bonnie have done so much for me. If I have a chance to help them, I'm taking it. Please, just trust that I'll be okay?"

He stared at me for a long time, clearly conflicted before letting out a breath. "Please be careful."

"Remember," Liv speaks sternly. "We have an hour before I have to pull us out. But we should be ready, considering we're doing this spell in front of Stefan and Damon's house, which is where we'll end up on the Other Side when I do the spell. Ready?"

"Yeah." I nod. "I'm ready."

Liv takes my hand, beginning the incantation, causing the gears in the Ascendant to turn. Bright light encases us both, the faces of my friends and family disappearing in an instant. In a few moments, I'm left with silence, my eyes squeezed shut, expecting a hard landing of some sort. I take in a breath, slowly opening my eyes to find myself standing in front of the Salvatore house.

A smile splits across my face, as I turn excitedly to Liv. "You did it! They're just behind that door."

"Come on," She lifts her chin toward the door, the only thing separating me from reuniting with my friends. I grip her hand, practically dragging her along as I race up the steps and eagerly throw open the door.