Chp. 2 - Last Straw (Edited)

It's now been nearly a year since Holden and I have discovered we are mates, nearly year of heartache and pain, feeling his pleasure and emotions towards other girls. My friends have noticed something was wrong from day one, but I never told them, I haven't told anybody about mine and Holden's arrangement, but I hope that changes once we graduate this year, hopefully I will finally become his mate. 

"What are thinking about?" Amber asked looking at me from the shot gun seat, I turn to face her, she had dyed her hair a golden blonde for her sophmore year, it has certainly gotten her more attention, more than I liked, not because I was jealous, but she was my little sister. 

"Nothing, just drama, you know, the usual" she smiled, after Zayn guys at our school started to notice Amber as dateable, and do-able, she hasn't lost it yet, that much I know, but I'm worried about the day she finally does, I mean, the first time sucks, it hurts and it's awkward everything you don't want it to be, it's the third or fourth time that things start to get better. For me, I lost count, I've had sex with Holden so many times just to satisfy him, sometimes I think the fact that we're mates is the only thing that stops me from rejecting him. Watching other mated couples in unbearable, how defensive and protective he is over her, how he doesn't look at anybody else and everything he does is for her, he would protect her no matter what and no matter how many times Holden says it, I just can't believe him even though I know he's telling the truth. 

"Are we going to get out of the car now?" she giggled, looking around at the bare parking lot, I must have really zoned out, "We've already received weekend detention" she sighed opening up her door. I stepped out to, wishing I had worn something warmer, something other than my short navy blue dress and leather jacket, my legs were freezing in my hightop converses. 

Inside the school heaters made the hallway nice and warm, I parted with Amber at the office and I headed to my homeroom. Walking in I got the attention of everyone in the class, something I was used to but still didn't like, 

"Ah, Miss Dexter, nice of you to grace us with your presence. Take a slip and sit down" I walked over to the detention tray and pulled out a slip I would have to have the office lady sign at the end of the day. Mr Ruben was really cracking down on us, probably because exams are only a couple months away and none of us can afford to miss any time off school. Moving to my usual spot, Cooper sat with Holden at the back and Taylor was beside me, we had become pretty good friends, seeing as none of my friends are in my homeroom, he was all I had to talk to. I found out that he had come from Australia, and moved back here with his parents after his mom caught his dad cheating and they decided to get back together and work things out. Only to have his mom die in an animal attack.. He drives a motorbike and is a boxer, he was quite cute for a human and he had the attention of all the human girls, they actually think they'll have a chance with him, instead of wasting all their efforts on Holden and Cooper. 

"Don't worry, I got one too" Taylor leaned over and whispered, showing me his slip, I smiled, 

"Looks like we're going to be detention buddies" I heard Holden growl under his breath, not loud enough for humans to hear, but I heard and it irritated me. 

"Why were you late?" he asked, 

"Lost track of time, you?"

he smiled "I had to walk, my bike got confiscated by my dad when I broke curfew" I almost couldn't contain my laughter, 

"Oh you badass" I giggled, getting dirty looks from Mr Ruben and Holden. "If you need a lift home this afternoon, I can drop you home" I turned to face him, his brown eyes, sandy curled hair and tanned skin, I could tell he had muscles underneath his hooded jacket. Suddenly I found myself fantasizing about what it would be like to see him, all of him, but quickly snapped myself out of it.