Chap. 57

"I feel like the Sun is singling me out," Josh complained, readjusting his sunglasses as he stretched out on the bleachers. "It must be a thousand degrees out here."

"More like 87," I said, with a laugh. "You're such a New Yorker."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"There's no humidity," I informed him, reaching up and tightening my ponytail. "I don't think it's that bad out here."

"You're bluffing."

"I'm just more accustomed to the heat."

Bryce came out of the dugout, the team ready to take the field for the start of the game.

"It's him you ought to feel bad for," I said to Josh, nodding towards Bryce. "He's in a full baseball uniform, while you're over here in a tank top and shorts."

"Well I could be in my air conditioned apartment, watching Netflix and grading papers," Josh defended. "So Bryce should be thankful to me for showing up here to cheer on his sorry ass."

Josh's phone buzzed on the bleachers next to him, shaking the entire bench. A few people glanced over at us, eyebrows raised.

"Sorry," Josh apologized, holding up his phone with a tight smile.

I just rolled my eyes, my focus going back out to the field, where Bryce was warming up.

"Kayla already," Josh said next to me, with a laugh. "She's checking in."

"I have a feeling that won't be the first time," I said, with a laugh of my own.

The first batter stepped up to the plate, ready to start the game.

I watched Bryce, biting my bottom lip as he got into stance.

Josh leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees, his focus also on Bryce. "Am I that oblivious, or are the glasses a new thing?"

"He usually only wears them during games," I said, with a nod.

Bryce let the pitch go, and it went flying across home base. I let out a long sigh, already knowing the call before the ump called it.

"What?" Josh whispered to me.

"Ball!" the ump announced.

"Dammit," Josh muttered.

I crossed my right leg over my left. "Come Bryce," I said, nervously shaking my dangling right leg. "You've got this."

Bryce wound up for his second pitch, his eyes trained on his catcher. He let the second pitch go.

A smile spread across my face as the ball landed in the pitcher's glove, the batter never even taking a swing.

"Strike!" the ump called out.

"You're good at this," Josh said to me.

"I've been sitting here long enough," I said, glancing over at him. "I should know a ball from a strike at least."

Bryce managed to strike the first batter out, but the second batter got a hit off of him, making it to first base.

"You know, I can get into a lot of sports," Josh commented, glancing over at me. "I watch football on the weekend and I can watch some basketball, but I don't think baseball is my thing."

"I never really watched baseball before I started dating Bryce," I admitted, watching as the batter swung, and missed, at Bryce's pitch. "I wasn't into sports. And I'm still not really, but I know a thing or two about baseball."