26 | Away

Before starting the chapter, I just want to clear things up. Yes, Calum is alive. That 'Father' referred to Calum's dad. I wanted to leave the rest to your curiosity and imagination but a lot of you have seemed to be confused, my mistake! Enjoy x

26 | Away

I hugged my knees to my chest as I watch Calum lying unconscious on the stretcher. Calum's father handed me a clean shirt right after he freed Calum from the chains.

So here we are, in the back of a van. The seats were rearranged so that they were facing each other, and the space in the middle lay a stretcher, where Calum was.

The man who has me as his target, is the one who saved us.

"Back there..why didn't you kill me?" I asked him, mustering up the courage to let my eyes meet his.

Now that I can see him closely and observe him, he is intimidating.

He had a sleeved arm, a scar across his cheek, his hair had signs of grey, he was in a suit, and he had a cane with him.

"You shielded my son. You were willing to get killed just to keep him alive." He says in a low voice. "You reminded me of someone I used to know."

"You were my mission—" he paused, "Until The Bisons started tracking my son."

"What?" I asked in confusion. "What do they want from Calum? If they wanted me they—"

"Because they knew you'd go after him, and they were right after all." He says, and he shakes his head with a small smile.

"It's funny how you're so much like her.." His voice was filled with sorrow.

Calum started shifting and coughing, which caught both our attention.

"Hang in there, son. We're almost home." His father says, and it made me look at him and observe him.

Home.

I felt an uneasy knot in my stomach. I've always loved that word, it sounds so warm. So welcoming.. but for my whole life, I've never felt what it's like to have a home.

"How do you dare call some place your home, with all the blood in your hands, how do you lie in bed at night?" I asked.

His grip on his cane tightened and I immediately knew i'm pushing it far.

"If I had a choice, I would have changed everything. This is not how I wanted to live my life and raise my family." He says.

He looks at Calum, "What you see, what you know, is the mere tip of the iceberg." He says, looking straight into my eyes, "Sometimes we don't get to choose the kind of life we have to live in."

The van comes to a halt. The sun rays touch my face as two men open the back of the van. They carefully took the stretcher out.

"I hope you don't get sea sick." Calum's father says, taking hard grip of his cane and walks out of the van.

When I stepped out of the van, we were at a docks. I watch as the men brought Calum into the yacht.

"Now, you can stay here and wait for your brother to find you, The Bisons to kill you, or you can come with us." He says.

I wrapped my arms around myself and looked back. I'm sorry, Ashton. Calum is hurt because of me.

I sigh as I take a step into the Yacht.

I know it's stupid, Ashton..but..I don't want to leave him.

——

It was about a 45-minute trip. I couldn't believe what i'm seeing.