Chapter 16

Thanks so everyone who suggested names and voted over the last few chapters. By the overwhelming majority, Devereux was the winner - thanks to noodleface1 for the awesome suggestion!

Annoying Pinspiration Quote #16

"If all else fails, set the building on fire."

Steeling myself, I strode back towards the table, grabbed a waiter enroute and said, "Bring me vodka. A lot of vodka."

When I sat back down, Cody looked over at me with concern. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Me? I'm fine! I'm so fine. I'm traffic ticket fine. I'm Fran Fine." I waggled my eyebrows at Savannah. "Wanna hear my Nanny impression? Oh, Mr Shef-field! Oo, my vodka!"

I swiped the glass from the waiter, feeling more Ruperty by the second. "How good is vodka? Don't answer that - we all know it's awesome. Did you know you can use vodka to clean jewellery, shrink pores, clean a bathroom - it even makes your flowers last longer! The drink of a thousand uses! Those Russians might have crappy weather, but at least they know how to make magic in a glass. Salute!" I toasted in Savannah's direction, grinned fiendishly at her shocked expression and downed the rest of my drink.

Cody and Savannah exchanged worried glances. The old Mia would have wanted to cry about their couple shorthand; the Rupert-Mia didn't give a toss.

Loudly, I said, "Sooo, what are we talking about?"

Cody shifted uncomfortably, but Savannah perked up. "We're planning a little mini-break at the moment. Next weekend, we're going to go up to the Yarra Valley for a wine and cheese getaway. I can't wait! The cabin I want to book has a fireplace and views over the mountains."

Old Mia began to ugly-cry inside me. Rupert-Mia stuffed her in a suitcase, zipped it up and sat on top, just in time to respond calmly to Savannah. "Oh really? That does sound cute. Rupert and I have just booked some time away as well."

"Oh, fun! Where are you going?" said Savannah, so girly and interested I wanted to toss my very good vodka in her face.

"Hawaii." I dropped the bomb, then crunched the ice from the bottom of my glass nonchalantly.

"Hawaii? Wow."

"I know, right? Rupert knows some music producer who has a mega mansion in Maui, and we've got the place to ourselves for three weeks. Apparently, the property has its own private beach, so you know what that means - no tan lines, wink, wink!" Much as I was boasting to piss the other two off, I truly was getting excited. I'd never been interested in Rupert because of his money or perks, but for my first time leaving the country, it was going to be something special.

Cody's flat tone brought me crashing down. "You're going overseas?"

My eyes met his dark ones and I felt my façade crack. I could bluff myself that Cody didn't matter when he wasn't there, but it was far harder when the face that I knew and loved so well was creased in sadness. I knew we'd always talked about taking our first international flight together, that me flitting off as if it was nothing would make me seem heartless.

Something inside me flared, dark and petty. He's got a girlfriend! You owe him nothing! A true best friend would be happy for you! Tossing my silky ponytail, I said, "Yup. Flying business class and everything. Rupert wanted to book first class, but it just seems ostentatious, amirite?"

Cody's eyes narrowed and he didn't respond. Savannah burst in, "So, I guess it's getting pretty serious between you two?"

The waiter had brought another vodka concoction and I busied myself drinking it to buy time before answering. Were we serious? I had no idea. The sex was great and we had tons of fun, but it wasn't truly going anywhere.