Chapter Six

A/N: Sorry, this chapter is kind of short, but the next one will be great, I promise:)

********************************************

            Today is the last day of summer.  Most kids are probably celebrating their final hours of freedom by hanging out downtown or reading their favorite book.  I, however, am crammed inside the tiny poolroom with the rest of my team.  Cassi and Elliot stand before our tiny congregation, going over this year's plans, including our swim schedule and our swim buddies.  The latter is a gift exchange that we do every year during swim season.  You pick someone's name and get them cheap little presents that they neither need nor want.  But, you have to do it anyway.

            "So don't forget, first swim meet is not this weekend but the next!"  Cassi's voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard, and the echoing room doesn't help.  It's like I'm hearing eight Cassis at the same time.

            "Everyone, come pick a name," says Elliot, shaking a sandwich bag toward us.  Pieces of folded paper were shoved inside, nearly overflowing the small bag.

            I remained on the bleachers, watching as everyone hounded over Elliot, as though picking first will get them a better swim buddy.  Sarah and Keely charge forward, gently pushing their way through the mob.  Though I don't know why, I can't help but notice as Sarah playfully runs her hand along Elliot's shoulder.

            I haven't told anyone about our kiss, not even Cassi.  For the most part, I remain silent because I know the kiss meant nothing, especially not to Elliot.  He was just bored and I happened to be right there at his disposal.  It's not like I played hard-to-get or anything, I just let him kiss me.  I realize that's a horrible way to lose your first kiss, but at the moment I couldn't help myself.

            The crowd finally disperses and heads toward the starting blocks, everyone already whispering their selecting buddy.  Elliot smirks at me before walking my direction.  I try to keep my face from blushing, but I don't think it's working.  I probably look like an idiot.

            "Too much effort to walk across the room?" teases Elliot.  His smile grows larger, causing his dimples to deepen.

            "Why walk when you don't have to?" I say, feeling my lips twitch. 

            "Fair enough," says Elliot, dipping the bag toward me.  There are only three pieces of paper left: one for me, one for Elliot, and one for Cassi.  I glance toward her, but she's turned in the opposite direction, gesturing to Jenna from across the pool.

            I heave a sigh of relief before stretching my hand into the bag.  I glare at the name for a moment, begging for it to change.

            "Any chance I can redraw?" I ask, sticking my bottom lip out?

            "Why?  Who'd you get?" asks Elliot. 

            "If I told you, I'd have to kill you," I say with a groan.  I really, really don't want to be 'swim buddies' with this person, but I can't tell Elliot that. 

            "Sorry, no name, no redraw," says Elliot with a cheeky grin.

            "Oh, come on," I say, leaning forward and batting my eyelashes.  "Pretty please?"

            "Sorry beautiful, no can do." Elliot taps my nose and walks away, as though he didn't just cause my heart to explode in my chest.  He seriously needs to stop complimenting me before I have a heart attack and die.