CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

The summer of 1994 would be a summer that Eleanor would never forget, while some memories had been considered harrowing, there were memories that exceeded her best dreams from childhood

The summer of 1994 would be a summer that Eleanor would never forget, while some memories had been considered harrowing, there were memories that exceeded her best dreams from childhood. However, as much as Eleanor enjoyed spending her time among her family, she missed Marnie profusely. The letters certainly didn't make up for the absence of one of her best friends, and there was so much to be written in a letter, that it was best to wait until they saw each other in person.

It had been a bittersweet morning in the Ross household as everyone, including Grandpa Lyall, had gathered for breakfast before it was time to bring Eleanor to King's Cross Station. While Remus continued to reassure her that she was going to do well in all of her classes, Margaret was making sure that Eleanor had packed plenty of clothing outside of her robes and uniforms, and going over her school list, double-checking that she had all her supplies as well. But before Eleanor was set to leave, she had made it her mission to get one thing completed during the course of the summer.

Normally, her knitting projects didn't take her very long, but since she had been spending so much time with friends that summer, she hadn't come close to her record time. After finishing her breakfast, Eleanor headed up to her room and grabbed her latest knitting garment. She hurried back down the stairs and approached Grandpa Lyall. He had just finished his morning coffee when he found Eleanor standing before him, and before he could ask, Eleanor presented the completed version of a jumper.

At first, he was confused until he realised it was the jumper that Hope had started. There was a happy cry that startled Remus and Margaret in the other room and as they came in, they found Lyall in tears. They were about to ask him what was wrong until Lyall jumped up to his feet and hugged Eleanor.

"I'm sorry it took so long, Grandpa," Eleanor said, "but I did promise I would have it finished before I headed off to school, didn't I? I didn't realise at first but judging by the pattern, I think Grandma was making this jumper for you, so I made it in your size. It should fit! Oh, I also made a matching hat and socks for it, hold on, I left those upstairs."

Eleanor ran off, giving Lyall the opportunity to put it on, but as soon as he did, he found himself pulled into the scene of Eleanor's bedroom. He was oddly confused as Eleanor had been next to him only seconds ago, only to see that she was sitting on her bed, working on the jumper he was currently wearing. He could also see through her bedroom window that it was night as it was dark outside, but it had been sunny outside that morning.

But as Eleanor sat working on her bed, she seemed to be working intently to finish and just as Lyall went to blink, he swore he saw Hope sitting beside her, watching Eleanor knit with a smile on her face. However, the scene quickly vanished and Lyall found himself back in the kitchen, Margaret had left the room, but Remus stood there, eyeing his father suspiciously.

"You saw something," Remus hurried over and whispered to him, "didn't you? Did you see a memory?"

"I don't know," Lyall breathed, pressing a hand to his chest to touch the front of the jumper, "I put it on and found myself in Ellie's room and then...I saw your mother with her. The two of them just sitting there, your mother was smiling while Eleanor worked."