Demons Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            A half hour later, Aspen dropped me off at my place with a quick kiss and a promise to call later.  I tried to talk her into coming up and having a real home-coming celebration, but she told me a cold shower would be a better idea.

Tired, angry, and frustrated I climbed the stairs to my apartment. I knew the place would be empty because my dad was at Claudia’s.  I was both thankful and distressed by that.  I didn’t want to get into another argument, but I really wanted some company.  Even to just sit beside someone and know that they were there for me in some small way.  I had been through too much in the last couple of days.  I was shocked about what I had learned.  Guilty.  Scared.

            I unlocked the door, went in, dumped my bag on the floor and collapsed onto the sofa.  The place was eerily quiet and I didn’t like it.  I jumped up, crossed the floor and turned on my iPod dock.  I put it on shuffle, turned it up and let the music soothe me.

            I flopped back onto the sofa and rested my head on the back cushions.  I had to plan my next move.  I really didn’t want to go back to Uncle Eldon to get him to track Belial down again. For all I knew, he’d told the demon we were looking for him.  The zombie was a sneaky, manipulative, cunning bastard and if I didn’t have to deal with him again, I wouldn’t.

            I could ask Dan if he could talk to some of his contacts.  Usually he didn’t like to get involved but I needed his help.  And if push came to shove, I would use Demon speak on him to force him to help me.  I really didn’t want to because of our friendship, but it wasn’t about him and me any longer.  It went further than that.

            About to close my eyes, I was startled when my cat Bali jumped onto my stomach.  Smiling, I scratched her behind her ears.  She started to purr and rub against my hand.

            “You’re with me, aren’t you, Bali?”

            Her green eyes widened and she nuzzled my chin, as if to say, “Hell yes.”  I laughed and petted her some more.  Sometimes I thought she could understand me.  Or it could’ve been she just wanted some attention.

            She suddenly stiffened.  Her ears perked up and twitched.

            I got nervous.  She was pretty intuitive when it came to demons.  She always acted out when Dan was around.

            I glanced around, searching the dark corners for any sign of danger.

            She then leaped off my lap, flew across the room and landed on the phone.

            I stared at her, confused.  She’d never done that before.

            “What is it?”

            She pawed the phone.

            Frowning, I reached for my iPod remote and pushed the power button. The music switched off.  And I could plainly hear the trill of the phone.

            I got up and picked up the hand set.  “Hello?”

            “Is this Caden Butcher?”

            I recognized the voice.  “Mr. Habib?”

            “Yes.”

            “I’m…I’m…ah, how are you?”

            “How am I?  I’m blind and my sweet daughter is in the hospital.  I have no money to pay for her medical care and I no longer can work at my job.  How do you think I am, Mr. Butcher?”