Chapter 9

A/N: updated as of 5/28/2020

It feels like the school day drags on for at least six trillion years, even with Declan hanging around us to spice things up. He attracts quite a fanclub at lunch, mostly consisting of underclassmen we've never spoken to huddling at the other end of our table and sending flirtatious glances at him. Of course, Declan's oblivious to this attention, but Rachel isn't—she gives the group a fierce glare that sends them scuttling to the other side of the cafeteria.

"What did you do that for?" I ask her, slightly sympathetic to their plight. "They weren't doing any harm."

"They were annoying," Rachel says righteously, folding her hands in her lap primly, her back ramrod-straight.

Declan huffs and crosses his arms. "When's school over?" he whines. "Let's go see a movie or something."

"Black Mass is playing at the 5th street theater," Rachel says quickly.

I grimace. "Rachel, while we appreciate your Johnny Depp obsession and don't hate you too much for it, we're not going to see a movie as scary as that." Declan and Rachel both snort at me in sync.

"What about Man From U.N.C.L.E.?" Declan suggests. "It's supposed to be good."

I shrug and turn to Rachel. "Sure," she agrees, taking a sip from her hot pink water bottle. "Anything with Armie Hammer should be magnificent." I roll my eyes and throw away the remains of my lunch as the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch. We push our way through the mob clustered around the cafeteria doors and make it to our eighth period, English, with a minute to spare. Rachel, Declan, and I find desks next to each other in the front of the room and hurry to claim them.

When the bell rings, an unfamiliar man in a tie with a school badge clipped to his belt loop walks in the classroom. He seems to be in his early thirties, with greasy-looking sideswept blond hair over wet-looking eyes and a winning smile.

"Good afternoon, class," he announces as he gazes around the room, his eyes lingering on Rachel.

Colin leans over Rachel to whisper in my ear, "That's not Mrs. Davies."

"I'm Mrs. Davies's substitute today," the man announces, and walks over to the whiteboard. He picks up a dry-erase marker, uncaps it with a flourish, and writes Mr. Fletcher in spiky lettering that looks like it belongs on an emo band t-shirt. He then turns back to us and points to his name.

"This is my name. I am Mr. Fletcher," he says, as if we couldn't make the connection. His stare drifts back to Rachel, who shifts uncomfortably next to me.

Mr. Fletcher clears his throat. "Mrs. Davies wants you to write poems about what you love. It can be anything. Girls, I'm sure you'll write about flowers and unicorns and puppies. Me, I'd write about Jeeps and guns and fire and—"he stares at Rachel and leans against a desk, giving her what's supposed to be a sexy smile—"pretty ladies."

Rachel glances at me, now slightly alarmed. A couple kids titter in the back of the room, but most people stay quiet. Mr. Fletcher finally tears his gaze from Rachel and strolls along the front of the room. "So what will you write about?" he continues, clearly wanting us to think a moment.

Rachel, now quite recovered, mutters "Stripping" in my ear. I giggle and try to turn it into a cough, but the damage has been done. Rachel evidently forgot that we were in the front, and Mr. Fletcher could hear her whisper.

"What was that?" he asks, zeroing in on her and walking to her desk. "You like to strip?" Rachel raises an eyebrow and assumes an otherwise stolid demeanor, trying to minimize the damage. He looks her up and down in a way that makes me feel disgusting just watching him.

"Stop looking at my girlfriend like that," Declan says angrily. Wait, what? Mr. Fletcher stiffly moves off Rachel's desk and backs up a few steps. Declan smiles smugly, and as if to prove his point, turns Rachel's face towards his and kisses her hard on the mouth. She's evidently surprised, but quickly recovers and tangles her hands in his hair passionately. The kid to my left starts whooping, and there's a couple catcalls to be heard. Half the class starts clapping, and when they resurface for air, Mr. Fletcher looks like he's going to punch Declan. Rachel looks pleased, and Declan gives Mr. Fletcher a stare that could freeze a raging fire.

Mr. Fletcher turns bright red, and huffs angrily, adjusting his tie jerkily.

"Get to work, all of you," he snarls, and we do as he says. For the next thirty minutes, the only sound to be heard is scratching pencils and the occasional screech of an eraser. Rachel slides me her poem when she's finished, and I blush as I read it—her poem is a...detailed...account of sex with Declan, not that she's ever done it with him...I hope. I look back at her and make a face, to which she mouths Mr. Fletcher will be furious!  I nod in understanding and show it to Declan, who scribbles Very accurate—The Boyfriend on the top, then crumples it into a ball and throws it to the teacher's desk behind which Mr. Fletcher is sitting. He looks at Declan with anger, but then unfurls it and, seeing it's actually from Rachel, gives her an attempted sexy smirk that was closer to a leer.

As he reads it, Mr. Fletcher's facial expressions go from expectant to appalled to wrathful. He jerks his head back up at Rachel, exactly when the bell rings. Everyone but Declan, Rachel and I rushes out the door, but Rachel takes her time packing up. When everyone else but the four of us has left, she gives Declan another searing kiss before turning slightly to wiggle her fingers at Mr. Fletcher and strut through the door, Declan in tow. I hurry after them in bewilderment, leaving Mr. Fletcher alone to fume at his desk.

A/N: yes I know I haven't updated for a while and I'm really sorry but I legit have no time to write anymore I'm so sorry :(((( and I'm getting hit on by this kid in debate who's kind of creepy and weird so I'm going to tell him tonight at practice that he just needs to go away so um wish me luck???? this chapter was some badly-written fluff and I'm not sure when i'll be able to upload another chapter. also I've been getting some messages asking when the DDLG will come in and my answer is hopefully soon, because I want to give some background on stuff before jumping into that. don't worry theres only like 3 or 4 fictional days to write before the real fun begins! and finally who do you guys ship? please let me know in the comments below and also comment what you want to have happen! thanks and yeah as always comment and vote plssssss :) kthxbai