Chapter 9

"So, how do you know Anakin?" Luke asked, sipping softly at the soup he had been offered.

    "A long story, that is." Yoda said, smiling lightly. Luke sighed at the usual crypticness of the small troll Jedi.

     He wanted desperately to go outside of the cottage and make sure his new friend was alright, but he was also worried about Master Yoda.

     He seemed...frailer...than usual.

     "Hmm. That face you make. Look I so old to young eyes?" Yoda asked, suddenly smug.

     Luke blinked at the accusation and quickly moved to apologize. "N-No...of course not!"

     Yoda chuckled at the boy's embarrassment. "I do, yes, I do! Sick have I become. Old and weak." He pointed an accusing finger at the youth. "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not. Hmm?"

    Yoda chuckled again, it quickly turning into a wheezing cough as he hobbled over towards his bed. "Soon will I rest. Yes, forever sleep. Earned it, I have." Yoda sat himself on his bed with great effort.

      Luke quickly realized what Yoda was trying to say and startled, sensing that his Master's Force signature was indeed weakening.

     "Master Yoda, you can't die." Luke pleaded, as if he could somehow stop it.

     "Strong am I with the Force...but not that strong. Twilight is upon me and soon night must fall. That is the way of things...the way of the Force." Yoda mused, handing his gimer stick to Luke, whose palms dwarfed the small stick as he held it.

      "But I need your help. I've come back to complete the training." Luke begged, looking nervous.

      "No more training do you require. Already know you that which you need. Anakin, the one who needs help, he is." Yoda said darkly.

    "Help? With what?" Luke asked, curious.

     "Straying close to the dark side he is, help him you must." Yoda said, knowing if Luke could succeed with Anakin, then maybe this horrific world would be fixed by Anakin's return.

       "Then will I be a Jedi?" Luke asked, looking worried at the fact that Anakin was close to the Dark. The fact that he had just seen Luke's reoccurring nightmare with a front-row seat...that couldn't be helpful.

      "No. One thing remains: Vader." The name sent chills down the room and Luke fought the urge to shrink back in terror. "You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will. But alone, you will not be."

     "What, Anakin? He'll help me?" Luke asked, again wondering why this stranger had so much to do with him.

     "Trust him you can. The future, always in motion it is. Alterable, it can be at times." Yoda said.

     A question suddenly bubbled up in Luke, but his vocal chords seemed to prevent him from asking it. He nervously bit his lip before clearing his throat, looking Yoda dead in the eyes.

     "Master Yoda...is Darth Vader my father?"

     Yoda paused, not really surprised at the question. Luke could've sworn his eyes had flicked to the door for a brief second, but he couldn't be sure.

      Yoda's expression was full of weariness and compassion and an odd, sad smile creased his face. He turned painfully on his side, looking away from Luke and avoiding his question.