Silence is Golden

THESSALY, GREECE - August 22nd

2:05AM

"DIE!!" Green Lantern roared.

Then, his fist came down.

But a red and blue blur came flying out of nowhere and tackled Lantern out of the way, embedding him into a building wall.

'Superman?!" Lantern exclaimed. "What the hell are you doing?!"

Superman panted with exhaustion, still not fully recovered from Desmond's attack.

"You can't cross that line, Hal!!" Superman berated. "You can't kill him!!"

Green Lantern grunted with anger and pushed Superman off of him.

"HE KILLED THEM!!" he snapped at Superman. "He killed all of our friends!! HE NEEDS TO DIE!!"

Superman put his hands on Green Lantern's trembling shoulders, looking him square in the eye.

"If you kill him, then you're no better than he is!!" Superman warned. "If you kill him, then Desmond proves his belief that we betray people!!"

But Lantern didn't want to hear it.

"NO!!"

Suddenly, Lantern's ring began to blaze brightly, like a raging, green fire and engulfed his hand and arms. Soon, the green blaze shrouded all of lantern's body, as if Lantern had externalised his rage. Before Superman could react, the fire lashed out and threw Superman into the building across from them, demolishing the grey stone well near them.

Superman groaned within the crater as Lantern flew at him, his teeth bared like an animal.

"He killed Batman! He beat Manhunter to death in front of his own niece!! He killed Shayera and Katar and is using their Nth Metal!! He is destroying every member of the Justice League! Dismantling it piece by piece!!"

He grabbed Superman by the collar with a clenched fist.

"There is only one way to stop him!!"

He slowly, almost dramatically, turned in the air, his blazing ring aimed straight at Desmond, who was slowly getting out of the crater, dusting off cobblestone fragments.

"Hal, DON'T!!" Superman pleaded.

The ring began to blaze even more intensely, spilling over with Lantern's rage and merciless intent.

Desmond looked at Lantern with a smug smirk.

"Oh, come on..." he said. "You don't have the guts..."

He threw his arms out wide, baiting Lantern.

"I DARE you!" he laughed.

The ring began to pulsate with power.

Superman tried to budge, but Lantern's aura kept him stuck in the crater.

Desmond's smirk grew wider as the ring's energy began to shake the ground, sending cracks through the cobblestones and bathing the building's with a vicious green glow.

"DO IT!!"

And with a furious scream, swirling, flaming green tendrils lashed out of the ring, screaming out for Desmond's throat.

But something was wrong.

When the tendrils were halfway towards Desmond, they began to flicker, like static and suddenly, they exploded, the blast knocking Lantern off of his feet and spinning up into the air like a rag doll.

There was a dull crack of bones snapping as Lantern landed on his shoulder.

He let out a scream of pain, cradling his left shoulder as he rolled gently on his side.
Desmond made yet another disappointed face and picked up his cane, walking over to the injured Lantern with a sigh.