CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

The next morning, Eleanor was more than surprised to see the number of students that had gathered in the Great Hall so early

The next morning, Eleanor was more than surprised to see the number of students that had gathered in the Great Hall so early. Normally, on weekends, the Great Hall was rather empty until the late mornings or closer to noontime as many students would take to sleeping in. However, it was quite the sight to see Marnie out of her bed before Eleanor had even opened her eyes fully. And before Eleanor's feet even touched the floor, Marnie was rushing her to get up so they could head to breakfast sooner. Eleanor was going to ask her if she was feeling ill or something along the lines until they reached the Great Hall and understood why they had arrived early.

Some of the students from Beauxbatons were gathered in the Great Hall, enjoying their breakfast, as well as some of the students from Durmstrang. And Marnie wasted no time in pointing out several of the boys from each school that she considered being handsome. When Cedric finally showed up, even he looked surprised to see Marnie wide awake at the table as he sat down next to Eleanor.

"Good morning," he greeted them, "Marnie, I'm surprised to see you up so early, what's the occasion?"

"She's been ranking some of the boys from the other school on a scale of one to ten on who she wants to date," Eleanor explained, "although we're only going based on appearances right now since she hasn't said a word to any of them."

"I've never been met with such a tough decision," Marnie sighed, placing her chin in her hand, "do I want one of those pretty boys from Beauxbatons, or do I want one of those burly boys from Durmstrang? If I could just combine them..."

Cedric stared at the two of them before looking away. "Well, I made my decision, if you wanted to know, I'm going to enter my name in the goblet."

Eleanor frowned nervously, noting that the Goblet of Fire had been moved during the night, placed in the Entrance Hall. Already, she had witnessed several older students approach it, some of them entering their names, while others seemed tempted before choosing to walk away. She had hoped that Cedric would reconsider his decision, but it was hard to drown out all the voices that continued to encourage him.

"Are you sure you want to enter it, Queenie?" Eleanor asked him. "I know it sounds tempting, but really, a thousand galleons isn't all that much if you think about it? And how far can you go with eternal glory? It doesn't sound like something you can put on a job application; you know?"

For a moment, it appeared as though he was reconsidering it, his gaze falling over to where Marnie was straining her neck to see one of the Beauxbatons boys.

"What do you think, Marnie?"

She peered over at the two of them before making a face. "Since when do you ask for my opinion?" she questioned him in confusion. "You two are the ones who make good decisions out of this group, not me. I'm not going to tell you what to do, if you want to do it, then do it. Hey, Ellie...I'm looking at a solid eight right now...he's got that stoic thing going on, looks a little constipated so I can't score him a ten. I wonder what he looks like when he smiles..."