34. Like Fireworks

CHAPTER - 34 (not proofread, bear the mistakes)

LOVE IS... LIKE FIREWORKS

'Our love is like fireworks - bright and scary, but hard to walk away from.'

'You do know that I like you, right?'

I stared at him with unblinking eyes as he said those foreign words to me.

'You do know that I like you, right?'

His words echoed in my head, not making even an ounce of sense in my already overburdened mind, while I tried to calm myself and not jump to conclusions.

'You do know that I like you, right?

What kind of 'like'? What are you talking about? Could you kindly clarify further about what exactly was I supposed to know?

He quirked an eyebrow at me, conveying that he was waiting for me to reply; reply to his weird way of confession, but was it truly a confession or just another one of Ashton's stupid jokes? With him leaning against the wall, smiling as if he nothing dramatic had happened in the last one hour, he looked like he was talking about the weather, instead of his 'probable feelings'.

In my brilliant head, I could already foresee the probable future conversations. 'What do you mean that you like me?' I would ask with trembling lips and ragged breathing.

For a reply, he had a huge variety to pick up from. 'I like you as a friend,' or 'I like your cooking, so yeah, I like you and want to keep you around so that you'll cook for me. I'll ask Priscilla to pay for you that, as well,' or 'Ha! You fell for my joke, Liana. You really are an idiot.'

Apparently, all his probable answers involved me making a fool out of myself. No, thank you! I had already done that enough to last a lifetime. Hadn't I already made a huge fool out of myself by displaying my terrible mood swings in the last one hour? I decided against saying the obvious. There was no need for me to pay heed to his silly confession; a confession that he was so going to convert into a joke. I mean, c'mon, this was Ashton we were talking about!

So, in reply to his question, I shrugged nonchalantly and said, "Of course, you do. Everyone likes me."

His eyes widened at my response and he almost lost his balance. Thanks to the wall that he was leaning against, that he didn't fall. Before he could utter any word, I turned around and said over my shoulder, "Have a good night, Ashton."

"Liana!" he called yet again, but I chose to ignore his beautiful voice calling my name as if it was something melodious.

Once inside my bedroom, I turned around and saw him coming towards me. He clearly wanted to talk. But could I really even speak a word with the amount of butterflies in my stomach? So, thanks to the awful lot of butterflies, I did the only thing I could think of - shutting the door on his face with an innocent smile plastered on mine.

I heard him calling my name and I leaned against the door. I tried not to draw my own conclusions of his simple, friendly words while on the other hand, I tried to calm my rapidly beating heart. The sudden loud bang on the door did nothing to help my heart. I backed off from the door and narrowed my eyes towards it, trying to scare off Ashton who was on the other side. I couldn't allow him to play with words and then with my heart. No way!

With desperate eyes, I searched around my room while he continued the assault on my poor door. My eyes fell on my music player and my eyes widened as I recalled the first day of this assignment. Grinning, I walked towards it, ignoring Ashton's vain attempts and switched on the music player, increasing its volume at the maximum. 'And that's how the game is played', I wanted to tell the pro of the same game, but chose to keep my silence