⎡4⎦

❖ ❖ ❖

❖ ❖ ❖

When we reached the docks, Draco helped me out, and we followed an older woman to the top of the stairs that lead to the Great Hall. On the way, Draco and I were separated, and I later found him again talking to Harry and Ron. Not wanting to interfere, I tried to stay out of view and just follow the older lady, whose name I believed was Professor McGonagall. Together, the group of students I was with walked into the Great Hall and made our way to the stool with a ruddy hat.

On the walk up the long tables, I heard,

"WHOOO HOOO! GO HAZEL!" and other loud chants along with that.

I whipped my head around so viciously that my hair hit my face and glared down at my brother. He looked at me with an innocent smile.

We finally made our way to the stool, and Professor McGonagall turned around.

"Wait along here, please," she instructed, waving a scroll in her hand, "Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

I watched as the headmaster, Professor Dumbledore, stood up and said,

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce," he paused and wet his lips.

"The first years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker," he raised his arm towards a rough-looking man with a cat with red eyes at his feet. "Filch, has asked me to remind you, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death."

Wait... What?!

"Thank you." And with that, he sat back down.

Professor McGonagall started to open the scroll she was holding.

"Now, when I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head," she picked up the hat, "And you will be sorted into your houses."

My heart felt as though it might fly out of my body from how hard it was pounding. I listened intently for my name to be called. Hannah, Susan, Trevor, Lavender, OH HURRY UP!

Then I heard Hermione Granger. My eyebrows went up as I remembered her from the train. I watched as she took a deep breath and walked to the stool. Once the hat was on her head, it began to move around.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

I heard the cheers of their table behind me.

After lots more names are called, I heard,

"Draco Malfoy!"

He looked at the hat and slowly made his way up the stairs and to the stool. The hat barely touched his head before it said,

"SLYTHERIN!" I saw Draco smile. His father will be happy. More names, more names, more names, and then,

"Harry Potter" came from Professor McGonagall's mouth.