Two

My eyes slowly open to the lights above me, my blurry vision gradually focusing on my surroundings.

I grip the sheets next to me and frown, sitting up immediately. Why am I in Stefan's bed?

Then, the memories came of the day before come rushing back as my mind eventually woke up with me, remembering the unfortunate dilemma I'm stuck in.

I'm trapped in a prison world, reliving May 10, 1994 repeatedly with the sole company of a sociopath. Right. How could I forget?

The reality has yet to fully absorb, as I pray for someone to come take me back home as soon as possible, or preferably, for this to all have been a dream.

The door suddenly creaks open.

"Rise and shine," Kai strolls in, sighing in content. "You know, it's really nice to have some company other than Bonnie and Damon. I mean, those two wouldn't stop bickering, you know? Like, one time I was watching them play Monopoly and Damon-"

"Shut up," I cut him off, exasperated. "I'm not here to make small talk with a sociopath, okay?"

I sit up, swinging my feet off the bed and walking past him. "Someone will come for me, eventually. Until then, I'm not tolerating you any more than I have to."

I hear his quickened steps behind me and rush to the bathroom, slamming the door shut. I lock it behind me before walking over to the bathroom sink.

My reflection in the mirror above the sink is staring back at me when I lift my head and she looks exhausted. Dark rings rim the underside of my eyes and my mane of dark, brown curls are tangled and slightly frizzy. My clothes are wrinkled, but they're the only ones I've got because unfortunately, I didn't plan to spend the night in 1994.

Three loud knocks on the door make me jump in surprise and I let out an irritated sigh. "Go away."

"I was just going to tell you that breakfast is ready," His amused tone floats through the barrier between us and he chuckles.

I open my mouth to tell him that I have no interest in dining with him, when my stomach twists and growls. Unfortunately, my intense hunger definitely overpowers the dislike I have for Kai.

"Fine," I say through clenched teeth. "Please leave."

To my surprise, I hear his footsteps walk away, no joking comment thrown at me in their trail. Thank God.

After taking my time brushing my teeth, showering, and fixing my hair, I pull on the same clothes I wore the day before continuing to find another set of clothes. There's no way I'm risking walking around in a towel with him around.

I walk back to Stefan's room, yanking open drawers and finally settling on a white T-shirt and gray joggers. Reluctantly, after realizing I'm all out of tasks to distract myself with, I go downstairs for breakfast.

"Who knew girls were high maintenance even when they're stuck in a prison world?" Kai says, looking up from the newspaper in his hands when I walk in.

I scowl, sitting in the chair across from him where there is already a plate of scrambled eggs and buttered toast waiting for me. Kai's plate is already empty.

"I wouldn't call basic human necessities like showering high maintenance," I snort, picking up my toast and biting off a piece.

He smiles but says nothing else. Shocker.

The silence lingers for a moment before I question, "Why are you reading the newspaper when it's been the same one for the past eighteen years?"