CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

The clue to the Second Task revolved around deciphering a riddle that supposedly was contained inside the Golden Egg, however, every time Cedric opened it, everyone in the radius of the Common Room would be cursed with a howling screech that echoed

The clue to the Second Task revolved around deciphering a riddle that supposedly was contained inside the Golden Egg, however, every time Cedric opened it, everyone in the radius of the Common Room would be cursed with a howling screech that echoed. For days, Eleanor and Marnie had been attempting to help him figure it out, only to end up with wicked headaches and no answers by the end of it. And as if the pressure weren't enough on the Champions figuring out the clue to the next class, they were presented with another task, one that included all three schools.

It was Professor Sprout, who had made the announcement of the upcoming Yule Ball, that suddenly silenced every sixth-year student in her class that afternoon.

"Professor McGonagall has asked all the professors to address the upcoming Yule Ball, it is part of the tradition of the Triwizard Tournament. It is a wonderful opportunity to spend time with your friends, make new friends, dance, and overall, have a good time around the holidays. The ball itself is open to students that are in fourth year and above, but if someone were to invite a younger student, they would be permitted to go."

At the mention of a ball and dancing, the Herbology greenhouse broke into a low roar of whispers. Some students glanced around the room as if they were already checking out who they wished to ask as their date, while some looked as though it had been the worst news, they had received all year.

"I'm sure some of you have been curious as to why formal dress robes were required on your supplies list this term, you are to wear them for this occasion. It will take place on Christmas Day, in the Great Hall, from eight in the evening to midnight. Of course, I'm sure I do not have to remind you all to be on your best behaviour during these times. Professor McGonagall has made it noticeably clear that while the standards will be relaxed, she still expects all students in Hogwarts to uphold respectable behaviour, especially in front of our guests. I ask that you do nothing to wind yourselves up in trouble."

For a second, it appeared as though Professor Sprout's gaze lingered on Eleanor for a moment longer as her eyes scanned around the room, to drive her point home. Immediately, Eleanor flushed a slight red and focused on the quill at hand.

At the very mention of the Yule Ball, her heart started pounding in her chest.

She was thankful to be sitting next to Marnie that afternoon in class and not Fred, or she would have felt even fainter. Although their teasing and flirting was proven to be good fun, Eleanor was still trying to work up the courage to ask Fred on a proper date. And it seemed fate was telling her to get her shit together by presenting her with a perfect opportunity. Of course, the more she thought about it, Eleanor wondered if Fred would take to asking her first, but she also wondered what if he didn't?

Shaking her head, Eleanor decided to rid any thoughts of doubt, telling herself that she was going to ask Fred.