VII. Mega Man

"Sonic!" I shouted, shaking him. "Sonic, wake up!"

"Rock, calm down." Dr. Light put his hand on my shoulder. "He's been through a lot-"

"You don't even know what they did to him!" I yelled, tears welling in my eyes. "There was, like, this giant laser the doctors were shooting into him. I don't know how he survived! And - and I accidentally blew him up and then there was another robot and-"

"Rock," Dr. Light was looking into my eyes, his face full of determination. "Sonic will be fine. He survived when Albert nearly sucked him dry of his energy. He's a tough one."

I looked down at Sonic on the ground, not moving and seeming to be barely breathing. He couldn't be that sick, though. He was Sonic the Hedgehog! "Do you know who Tails is?" I asked Dr. Light.

"First, let's get him into a bed." Dr. Light said. He stood up and walked away, and I followed after, scooping Sonic up. His eyes were twitching like he was dreaming, and I only hoped that they were sweet dreams after what he had been through.

We went into the room that we used for repairs on robots, then into another door in it. Sonic wouldn't like the sight when he woke up. The thought almost made me laugh.

I put him down on the soft cot, looking at him for another moment. "Hey, Roll," I called, "can you bring some-"

I looked at the doorway, as if by some miracle she would be standing there. For a moment, I looked at the doorway, imagining her there. Dr. Light sneaked a peek as well, then went back to hooking things up to Sonic. All I had now was Dr. Light. And maybe Sonic would be okay, but what if he wasn't? And who was that Tails person he wanted me to find?

With a probably stupid idea that wouldn't work, I scanned Sonic, copying his information into my database. Now I could see where he had gone through his rainbow energy signatures.

"Dr. Light, I'll be back." I said, leaving the room.

"Rock, where-" Dr. Light started.

"Sonic asked me to do something," I answered, "and I am going to do it."

Before my father could argue, I ran out and left the lab. I walked down the hill, where I could stop and stare at the town.

It was in total chaos. Everything seemed to have at least some level of damage. Windows everywhere were broken. Buildings were missing huge chunks out of them, and there were still fire that needed to be contained. Robots with the virus were all over, patrolling parts of the city. At least it didn't look like anyone had stayed in town for the weekend.

After staring and sighing at the sight, I turned down the road to the hill where the battle Sonic had got caught in was. I didn't particularly want to be reminded of my failure and Tempo's betrayal, but I had no where else to turn.

I pressed a button on my helmet, following Sonic's energy signature. Maybe Tails' would be the same - or at least kind of the same. I could see most things' energy signatures. The signatures of humans, however, were very weak, and it was hard to track them. Tracking Dr. Wily this way would be impossible; his signature would barely differ from everyone else's.

I followed until I got to the place of the scuffle; Sonic's energy signature was all over the place. It went over rocks, soared into the air, and went in little circles. There were also the signatures of the Mega Man copy, Quick Man, Tempo, and a whole bunch of other robots. They tended to be the same color as the robots, but disappeared fast. These ones were already fading and almost gone.

I looked off into the distance, trying to think of where to go. Sonic had appeared in the heart of the city; perhaps Tails was there, too?

I looked toward the city, only having to walk over a hill for it to be in sight again. I sat down and changed to my scanners, erasing all of the robots' signatures and leaving Sonic's. It wasn't long, however, before something behind me made a sound like an explosion.