Chapter Eighteen

It's all I can do to sit still while the bands play. I can't believe Mirror Boy was in the system. I don't know if he was when he died or not. He could've been adopted or something, but now I have a starting point. I have to start researching this angle. I want to do it now! Nancy will be my best chance, but how am I going to get answers out of her without twenty questions? Now, that's going to be the tricky part, but I'm a sneaky girl by nature. I'll figure it out.

My phone starts buzzing. I frown and pull it out of my back pocket. It had better not be Mrs. O. She's been freaking out recently over the smallest things. Just yesterday, she yelled at all the little kids for playing too loud. I mean seriously, they're kids. It's what they do. They like to laugh and squeal. The woman needs to chill and cut them a little slack.

I have a text from an unknown number. I almost delete it like I do any text from people I don't know, but I find myself curious. I'm not sure why, but I open it and nearly have a heart attack sitting there in the booth.

I'm giving a lecture at UNC in Charlotte tonight at 4pm.

I left you 2 passes at the door. Meet me after - Olivet

My mouth drops open in shock. Holy crap. He actually responded! My ghost expert responded. I never expected him to get in touch.  Whoa. It was just an off the wall shot in the dark. This is my chance to get some answers. I text Dan to ask him if he can take me. Jake and Meg are out of the question. Neither of them knows my dirty little secret. Plus I'm not too sure if Jake and I are kosher right now. I can't get that look of his out of my mind.

Jake slides into the seat opposite me. Not a good sign. Dan takes the spot beside me. Jake does look up at that and glares. Dan completely ignores him. He looks downright depressed.

"You should have forfeited," I told him snidely.

He sighs and nods. It really was that bad. "Yeah, but you did a great job, Jake. Thanks, man."

"Whatever."

Dan finally looks up at him and frowns. He looks ready to say something when Jennifer comes over. Greg is behind her and looks ready to commit a serious act of bodily harm. My kind of guy.

At that moment, Dan digs his phone out of a pocket and scans his messages. He glances at me once, so I know he's read my text. The next question is given how Jake is obviously feeling, do I want him to know I asked Dan to take me somewhere and not him? Not a chance.

"Jake, can we leave now? I'm tired and my ankle hurts."

"They haven't even started the solo challenges yet," he says. "Can you wait just a little longer?"

"That's okay, Jake," Dan tells him. "I can take her home.  I was gonna leave since I'm not signed up for any of the solo stuff and we stand zero chance of winning anyway."

"But I'm not ready to go!" Jennifer complains. I can see Dan wince and I just barely stop myself from grinning. She really is not who I pictured him dating.

"Greg..."

"Hell, no!" Greg almost shouts.

"Then stay as long as you want, Jen. I'll swing by later and pick you up."

Her eyes narrow into slits and center on me. I can see the calculations there and can't suppress a smile. That really sets her off. Dan rolls his eyes and slides out of the seat.

"You are actually going to leave me here and take some little kid home?"

Little kid?  She so did not say that. Meg and Jake both wince. They know me.