Dethroned

THESSALY, GREECE - August 22nd

2:10AM

"Any last words, Desmond?"

Desmond panted with exhaustion, blood spilling out from his chest and his vision getting darker.

"My people are not without mercy, Desmond." Aquaman told him. "But you have spilled the blood of too many of my comrades and left too much misery in your wake..."

Desmond chuckled weakly, leaning over on his palms.

"You...really are...a merciless bastard...huh?"

The resolve in Aquaman's eye still burned brightly as he put the ball of his foot on Desmond's shoulder.

Desmond grabbed onto it weakly, but his strength was waning. Even he couldn't heal from a wound like this in his current state.

"I'm truly sorry it had to come to this..." he apologised.

And without another word, he ran his trident through Desmond's chest, the beautiful, gilded prongs bathed in crimson blood.

Desmond's head fell backwards as Aquaman pulled out the trident, his body slumping forward onto the bloody cobblestones underneath him.

Aquaman sighed again, almost with regret and slowly paced over to Superman, who could barely believe what he saw.

"Arthur..." he gasped. "What did you do-"

Aquaman looked at him sternly.

"I'm sorry, Superman. But it had to be done..."

Superman looked away. He knew Desmond had to be stopped, but he didn't want it to end like that.
"I know..." Superman admitted. "But don't expect me to fully agree with this..."

Aquaman reached down and pulled Superman up over his shoulder, Superman groaning as he dragged his limp feet along the ground.

"Let's go home, Superman..." Aquaman said sadly. "We're done here..."

They then hobbled along the bloodied cobblestones until they reached Desmond's body, which Superman looked upon with regret and pity.

"I'm sorry, Desmond..." he apologised. "I didn't mean for us or the League to drive you towards all this..."

Aquaman, despite his hatred for Desmond's actions, couldn't help but share Superman's regret.

"We drove him to this, Arthur..." Superman sobbed. "We welcomed him into the Team and then we tore it away from him..!"

Aquaman looked at Superman, initially with shock, but then melancholic agreement.

"If only we could have-"

But before Aquaman could finish, a figure leapt over the buildings n front of them with a ferocious yell and slammed into the ground in front of them, snarling like an animal and sending cobblestone fragments everywhere.

She was sweating heavily, with her long, ebony black hair spilling over her angry eyes in a mess, but Superman and Aquaman recognised her immediately.

"Diana?!" Aquaman exclaimed.

Wonder Woman panted heavily, her back arched like a hunchback as she stared at Superman and Aquaman with vicious, angry eyes.

"Arthur!!" Superman yelled. "MOVE!!"

As the words left his mouth, Diana launched herself at both of them, her hands outstretched like talons.

Aquaman quickly pushed him and Superman apart, but Wonder Woman was quick enough to latch onto Aquaman's arm and began to rapidly pound away at his face.