Mercy For The Magician

THESSALY, GREECE - August 22nd

2:17AM

Desmond yelled with effort and slammed the shield across Nabu's face, sending him reeling metres back.

But Nabu wasn't done yet.

With a loud roar of anger, Nabu launched a volley of beams at Desmond, brightening up the sky and sent Desmond flying down onto the roof of the building below, dust and tiles clattering onto the cobblestones below.

Desmond groaned as he shook off the loose bits of dust and brick clinging to his pale skin and looked at Nabu with a proud smirk.

Nabu clenched his fists and flew at Desmond, firing impossibly fast barrages of light at him.

"Admit your defeat before Doctor Fate!!" Nabu demanded. "Order ALWAYS prevails!!"

But Desmond's shield kept absorbing the attacks.

Nabu's hands became shrouded with glowing blades as he landed in front of Desmond, the two weapons meeting and sending sparks everywhere.

Superman was both awestruck and frightened simultaneously. He had never seen a battle this intense! He didn't want to entertain the thought, but he realised that Desmond might even be able to stand up to Doctor Fate!

The sparks kept flying all over the building and onto the cobblestones below, lighting up Desmond's dark and merciless eyes.

"So that is why you sought the Nth Metal, child..." Nabu said. "So you could contend with me..."

Desmond's only reply was a cold, evil smile, one so dark it unnerved even Nabu...

But Nabu pushed his sword upwards, dragging Desmond's shield up with it.

"But you forget, boy!" he yelled as he threw Desmond into the air. "I am a Lord of ORDER!!!"

He flew upwards after Desmond and slashed at him with quick succession, beams of light following after his blade like light trails before he backhanded Desmond to the ground.

"And I will NOT be beaten by a child of EVIL!!!"

Desmond panted heavily and got back up to his feet. That was when Nabu noticed something was wrong.

Desmond should have been hacked to pieces! Why wasn't he injured?!

"You know, Nabu..." Desmond scoffed. "You act all high and mighty, but you're just like all these other clowns!! Once your weakness is known, you're defenceless!!!"

"SILENCE!!!!" Nabu roared, throwing a bolt of lightning.

But Desmond caught it with the end of his shield and redirected it at Nabu, which shot through his shoulder and left a scorch mark on his arm.

"Nth Metal!!" Desmond yelled at him. "A very handy piece of scrap, but want to know the best benefit?"
He spun around and launched a purple beam at Nabu, which the latter barely deflected, disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

But Desmond tore straight through the smoke cloud and slammed the end of the shield across Nabu's face.

A crack went across the bottom of the helmet.

"It completely nullifies Magic!!"
Desmond beat Nabu across the face again and grabbed onto his forearm, his shield powering up with purple energy.

"So when you say you're the Lord of Order...I think it's time you were disgraced!!!"
The energy went off and sent Nabu flying into the hills past the town.

Superman's eyes went wide when Nabu flew over into the hills, but his shock subsided when he heard a the sound of wind whipping from behind him.

"Barry?!" Superman exclaimed.