CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

The entire time Fred danced with Eleanor, she refused to look at him, focusing her gaze off to the side

The entire time Fred danced with Eleanor, she refused to look at him, focusing her gaze off to the side. However, at one point, he caught a smile developing on her lips, and as he turned his head, he spotted Doncho in the distance, dancing. The two were saying something back and forth, mouthing it over the loudness of the music, but that wasn't what had grabbed Fred's attention initially, no, it was the fact that Doncho's dancing partner was another boy from Durmstrang. And it didn't look like they were dancing with each other in a playful manner either.

Eventually, Eleanor turned her head when they both noticed Fred watching them and cleared her throat. Fred blinked several times before he gave a shake of his head to clear away the confusion.

"Is that Doncho..." His voice trailed off as if he couldn't bring himself to say it. Eleanor's stare hardened, daring him to say something stupid.

"Dancing with another boy? Yes, that's his date Vidar."

"But I thought...I thought you two were..."

Eleanor stopped dancing, taking a step back from him, and folding her arms over her chest.

"You thought wrong, Fred. Doncho and I started talking and became friends, he wanted someone he could talk to outside of his school. He asked me to be there as emotional support so he could ask Vidar to be his date at the Yule Ball. Thankfully, Vidar said yes, but they didn't want to say anything until tonight, it was their way of coming out. They figured if their peers could accept them, the next step would be to approach their parents about it. But as I told you, it wasn't my business to tell because they wanted to make the statement. Now that's it's out there, I can tell you, he's strictly into wands. We play for the same quidditch team."

If it were possible to die from second-hand embarrassment, Fred would have collapsed on the spot. His face was turning bright red, nearly put his own hair colour to shame and it didn't help that Eleanor was waiting on his response.

"Alright, so he's into boys," he said finally, "so that means you don't like him in that sense?"

"He's just my friend," Eleanor reiterated, "I told you. So, you were jealous for absolutely no reason!"

"Whoa! Whoa!" He placed his hands up defensively. "I was not jealous!"

She let out a harsh laugh before shaking her head. "You're lying! You've had no problem with me spending time with Cedric, Harry, with your brothers, or around Lee, but as soon as Doncho showed up, you started to worry."

"That's not true," he said stubbornly, crossing his own arms, "it just so happens that you're one of my best friends and I didn't think Doncho was right for you. I thought he was a little off, that's all."

"Oh, is that so?" she replied taking a step closer to him, closing the space between them. "And who do you think is right for me? I'd like to know."