Chapter 10 - He's Got A Soul As Sweet As Blood Red Jam

Stood startled and unaware of the current events, Emily, Jemima and Naomi questioned Adriana's actions as bright noise and mad sounds evaporated before them.

"I don't understand" Emily whispered to the girls with a puzzled expression.

"Perhaps she just didn't feel too great" Jemima said, reciprocating the confusion.

A friendly voice bombarded words at them above the music, allowing Emily to forget about the current situation as a soul as sweet as blood red jam stood before her. "Where's Adriana?" Evan spoke with a slight slur which was almost unnoticeable.

"She doesn't feel too great, she's just gone to get some fresh air" Naomi lied.

"I think I'll just go and check on her" Jemima spoke with her voice raised slightly, putting forward this as an escape plan.

"I really need the bathroom, I'm about to pass out" Naomi said jokingly, and within mere seconds the girls had gone.

Both girls had seen the glimmer in Emily's eye and they both understood that the bond between her and Evan was unfolding. Isn't that what friendship is all about after all? Seeing each others true desires and letting them live through them. Whether things end well or not is irrelevant, regret is inevitable. Or is it?

If you have made a choice in your past that you regret it is then intertwined with your timeline. But at that instance in time it must've been exactly the choice you wanted to make. Imagine it as a game of cards in which you believe you have the winning hand, you then make a choice to bet your house, your car and pretty much your entire life on you winning the game. That is a choice you wanted to make at that moment. Despite whether you lose and end up homeless, lifeless, with nothing but regrets for company or whether you win and carry on with your apparently serious gambling addiction. You made that choice and at that time it was exactly what you wanted.

Emily thought carefully about the hand she had played as she sat with Evan and her gin and tonic in a plastic cup beside her. They had already moved out of the way of the party onto a thin wooden bench in the back garden as Evan spoke in his kindly tone. "It's been so long Emily."

"I guess time just takes it's toll" Emily replied as her thoughts raced back to the conversation she had with her mother. 'We're going to have to build the republic of heaven where we are my darling .' The words seemed a lifetime away.

"How's life treating you anyway?" He spoke in a raspy tone that sent Emily into a nostalgic daydream.

"It could be better... but then, I guess there's always darkness before the dawn." Emily didn't realise tears were streaming down her face. She couldn't bear the fact that her family was breaking apart along with her emotions. Evan noticed these tears but knew he should keep quiet about them. Slowly he placed his hand on top of hers and in that moment they shared something, something precious that only memory could seal. As Emily rested her head on his shoulder, tears escaped her eyes reflecting the moonlight gracefully. She took a drink from her cup and soaked up the air around her. He squeezed her hand tight and promised to never let go. Together they watched the stars in all of their beauty for what felt like eternity. Evan broke the silence with words that would cure Emily's sadness instantly. "We have to build the republic of heaven where we are Emily, because for us there is no elsewhere." And with these words Emily and Evan shared a moment that would be etched in their hearts forever. A kiss that even the moon desired. Emily had started building her own paradise and Evan was the foundation.