Ten-Outcasts

Saturday morning, my mom and I were sitting on the couch watching Steel Magnolias. We each had a bowl of cereal in our hands as we watched it.

"I don't know why we watch this movie. It always makes me cry in the end." My mom said as she ate her cereal.

I smiled. "That's what makes it a good movie."

Personally, I wasn't paying attention. I was a little worried about Kelly. I wonder if her mom knew she got drunk last night at the party. Ryan probably got a hold of her.

"So I thought you were going to stay at Kelly's house." My mom spoke up. "What happened?"

Oh! I haven't thought this through yet! "Um..." I trailed off. "Kelly got sick and you know how I am around sick people." Seriously?? That's all I could think of?

"Oh." She said. "Poor Kelly. I wonder how she's doing this morning."

My mom actually bought it. Victory dance! "Yeah. I'm going to go call her real quick." I stood up. I walked into the kitchen and put my empty cereal bowl in the sink. With that, I ran upstairs to my room, grabbed my phone, and called Kelly.

"Hello?" She answered sleepily.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked.

"Kind of." She groaned. "My head feels like it weighs a ton."

I smirked. If I drank as much as she did last night, I would feel the same way. But I was smarter. "I bet it does."

"And I got an earful from Ryan last night. He promised not to tell mom though."

"That's good." I said. I wouldn't want her to get into too much trouble.

She sighed. "Yeah. I'll talk to you later Riley. I need medicine."

I hung up with her and sat on my bed for a minute. My thoughts drifted to Aiden then. Did he go back home to see his dad after he left this morning?

There was a knock at my door then it opened. My mom walked in and smiled at me.

"Riley, Anna just called me-"

"And she wants us all to meet at her house." I finished for her.

She nodded. "They want everyone there by ten o'clock to discuss some things."

"Okay." I looked at the clock by my bed. It was going to be nine thirty.

My mom left my room to let me get ready. I gathered up some clothes and went and took a shower.

***

"How is everything going?" My mom asked me as she drove.

"With what?"

She glanced at me then back at the road. "With the wedding Riley. How's it going?"

"Oh." I said. "It's going fine I guess."

I know she wasn't satisfied with my answer. But she knows I don't give her details even when she wants them. My mom and I talk to each other, but we aren't very close.  Like I've said before, she wanted a peppy popular cheerleader for a daughter but she got me instead.

We pulled up to Anna's house right at ten o'clock and I opened the passenger door.

"Behave Riley. And have fun." My mom said to me as I got out.

"Will do." I nodded. I walked up to the front door and before I could ring the doorbell someone opened it.

That someone was Kelly.