18 Acquaintance

About three years ago Yoshiro stood on a roof edge and looked around. It was in the middle of the night.

"Damn. I've lost him."

He scanned intently the surrounding terrain, but he was not able to find his target. He should have known better. The beasts were very agile and this specific one was also fast. Probably it was the leader of an entire pack.

But that was exactly why it should not be that hard to find them. Several beasts in one place usually meant trouble. They tended to fight each other and cause a ruckus.

He carefully listened to the night. Engine noise. A radio filled the air with pop music. He looked at his watch. 02.34. Maybe he should call it a day and go home instead. A new fragrance appeared in his nose. Aftershave. Someone uninvolved was here.

Yoshiro teleported to another roof to gain a new perspective. Down there was a security guard patrolling through the alley.

"What the hell?"

He reoriented himself. Indeed, the beast had lured him into the industrial part of the town.

"Cunning beast. You reversed our roles."

Now he was convinced that it was only a matter of time until the beast would be transformed. Ordinary beasts were not as intelligent and devious. Okay, he had to ensure that the security guard would remain unharmed.

He searched again the environment, as several paws scrabbled behind him. He glanced over his shoulder and saw three beasts who had sneaked up.

"Smart guys."

Roaring, the beasts rushed to him, but he teleported out of the way. With his gun drawn, he appeared behind the creatures and opened fire. A beast was hit and yelped. The other two were trying to flank him. Yoshiro rushed towards the wounded beast and emptied his magazine into its body. Lifeless it sagged.

Before any of the other creatures could catch him, he teleported to another roof. Quickly, he switched the magazine.

He watched the beasts, as they were looking for him. One picked up his scent and ran toward the edge of the roof. Did it really want to jump?

It kicked off, sailed over the gap and clutched to the facade of the next house. Then, it started to climb up the wall.

The second beast wanted to imitate it and jumped too. Yoshiro quickly exchanged his gun against two daggers and teleported to the leaping creature in midair.

He appeared above it and rammed his daggers from the sides into its skull. Blood spurted from the wounds, the body went limp and began to fall. Yoshiro teleported again.

Shortly before the last beast reached the edge of the roof, the man appeared at gunpoint on her. A bullet in the middle of its face ended its life and it plunged into the depths. Before the impact, it had completely dissolved.

"That's that."

A shout drew his attention. The guard! Yoshiro ran to the corner and looked down.

The security guard fled two beasts, who were hot on his heels. Without further thinking, Yoshiro teleported into the alley.

He appeared in front of the security guard, who dodged aside and tripped over his feet. Yoshiro fired at the beasts, which sprang apart to avoid being hit. One of them immediately attacked.