Dangerous Predator

Chapter 13

          I sat down and waited patiently for the phone call I knew was coming. It wasn't that I had forgiven him just yet, but I wanted to let him know that, unlike him, I actually kept my promises and respected people's wishes.

            Royce left soon after the bitch so he could change and get to work. So beside me, it was just Rose in the apartment. She walked out of her room looking fresh and clean, probably coming out of the shower.

          “What are you doing?” She asked.

          “Waiting for Darcy to call.” I answered.

          “Oh, why?” She walked into the kitchen probably to make some coffee.

          “Because his bitch of an assistant was here and she saw Royce coming out of my bedroom half naked.” I explained.

           “What was she doing here anyway?” She handed me a cup full of coffee before sitting down with her own. I smiled and thanked her for the very nice and appreciated gesture.

           “I don't know honestly. I think she was about to let me know when she saw Royce, then her focus completely shifted.” I answered, slowly sipping on my coffee I so needed right then.

           “Huh, do you think he's actually going to call?”

            “If she did tell him, and I'm pretty sure she did, then yeah,” I answered right before my phone started to ring. I raised an eyebrow. “What did I tell you,” I said to Rose before answering the phone. “Darcy.”

           “Is it true?” He asked and I knew what he was referring to.

           “I can explain, it's actually a funny story and I'm sure you'll just crack up when you hear it.”  I said into the phone. I had nothing to feel guilty about so I was completely calm and collected.

            “Is it true?” He asked again, emphasizing on each word. I shook my head. I knew he wouldn't listen. Darcy could be such a hard headed man sometimes.

           “Yes, but listen that's not the funny part of the story-” I was saying but then instead of listening he just hung up. Oh well, whatever. I took the phone off my ear and placed it on the coffee table.

           “What happened?” Rose asked me, sitting a few spaces away from me.

           “He hung up.” I answered, then started laughing at how ironic it all was. “It's funny you know.” I added,  “Just yesterday, I was the one who didn't want to talk to him, and today he's the one hanging up the phone.”

           “Well, what are you going to do?” She asked. I shrugged and got up.

          “Nothing,” I replied. “He doesn't want to talk so I'm going to leave it at that.” I walked into the kitchen, grabbed a bowl, and poured myself some cereal. “See unlike him, I know when to leave someone alone.” I put a spoon of cereal in my mouth.

        “Uhm Char, that's great and, in any other situation, you know I'll be totally on board… “ She started, kind of turning to the side a bit in order to see me.

          “So?” I asked with a mouth full of cereal, standing in our kitchen as if there wasn't any more available chairs to sit in.

            “Well, he's paying for your schooling so I don't think you want him on your bad side. Remember, no Darcy, no money, no school. It all comes as a package.” She explained. I stopped chewing the food I had in my mouth and just swallowed.