Chapter 11

Hadley and I both looked at each other, our mouths hanging open, eyes wide.

 Was Havoc seriously telling the truth, or was he just making something up to mess with us? Because if Hadley is safe from his hands, in turn the baby is safe, as well. And I'd take getting hurt over Hadley or our child any day of the week. 

  "I'm quite serious, I assure you," Havoc said, leaning up against the kitchen counter, crossing his arms over his chest. "There's a specific clause somewhere in The Edict that prevents any woman carrying a child from being harmed at the hands of someone like me."

  "Okay..." Hadley's grip on my hand started to shake. "Why are you telling us this? This isn't how you operate. You - " 

 Havoc cut Hadley off, raising a hand.

 "All in good time, Hadley. Trust me."

 Neither of us trusted this bastard, but I think he already knew that. 

 "And what about Lauren?" I asked before I could stop myself. 

 Havoc smirked, and the way the light hit his mismatched eyes made him seem even more dangerous than he already was.

 "Well. Lauren. I like her. She's a sweet girl, isn't she?" 

"Archer - " 

  Hadley gave my arm a firm yank, pulling me back before I could do something really stupid and attack Havoc.

 "Calm down there, biggun." Havoc laughed loudly, and I got the impression he was very much enjoying himself. "This isn't all that complicated, you know."

 "Say what you have to say, then get out of here," I snapped, my irritation growing. "And leave us the hell alone."

 "Oh, I'm afraid I can't do that," Havoc said. "I told you once before, but obviously I'm going to have to tell you again."

 He took a step forward towards us, and I instinctively pulled Hadley behind me again.

"Either you face your fears, or...well, deal with the consequences." He looked back and forth between Hadley and I, a smile on his face. "I do have to say, Archer, it really wasn't all that wise of you, waiting so long to start facing your fears."

Clearly. I was beginning to see that now.

"I suggest you get on that as soon as possible," Havoc continued in a business-like tone. "Normally I would've long since dealt with you, but...well, I do like Lauren so very much, and I suppose I can wait a few months longer to make you regret this."

He flashed Hadley and I another wide smile before strolling out of the kitchen, snapping his fingers as he went. Immediately the earlier sounds of chatter and laughter floated through from the living room. 

 "Hadley, are - "

I pulled her into my arms before she could stumble her way into the counter and I sat on the floor, up against the refrigerator, her situated across my lap.

"Are you okay?" I asked her after a few moments, brushing back her hair.

 She was trembling against me, but her voice was hard and firm when she spoke. 

"You've got to do this, Archer. Now." 

My gut twisted painfully and my head dropped back against the refrigerator with a loud thunk.

 "I will," I said. "I promise."

Because this time Havoc's warning hadn't been vague or half-assed. It was perfectly clear this time.