Chapter 25 - Hanging Around

God!!! What the hell!! Why can't I move?? It was like I was mentally shaking myself to get out of the stupid trance. I had literally gone into some kind of a mode like sleep standing or something. I don't even know if it qualifies for a sane term or not but I couldn't comprehend anything else at that time. Manik almost dragged himself to me. Every step that he took towards me sent me some indecipherable signals. The smirk on his face slowly faded as he saw me looking at him expressionlessly. It was a difficult moment. I was failing to judge my own emotions. I was sure I hated him, I never wanted to see his face again but then why couldn't I move and just push him out of my room. What was it that held me back from reacting?

All through the 20 feet distance that he covered to reach me I gaped at him but his eyes stalled at my bare tummy. He stopped right in front of me; his eyes were still at my tummy. He slowly knelt down before me to reach eye level to my stomach. He looked at it as if he could scan it inside out and slowly raised his hand to touch my tummy. A single touch from him was enough to push me in a swirl of emotions that was beyond my understanding now. He caressed it lightly.

"I am sorry I lost you", a tear escaped his guilty eyes as he said that

Those words killed me for a moment. Why is he saying this when we both know it doesn't mean anything to him. A string of guilt struck my heart of having lied to him about our baby. He moved his head closer and kissed my tummy. It did break my heart to see him like that.

"But I won't lose your Mom", he mumbled softly to my tummy.

I don't know if it was his touch or my health, I felt a terrible stir in my body. As if everything inside had to come out and it was then I could make myself move. I covered my mouth and pulled the lingering half of my saree on me and ran towards the bathroom. Manik leapt on his foot as he saw me rush.

"Nandini what's wrong??", he ran after me.

I managed to shut the door before him and puked everything out. In early stage of pregnancy such symptoms are common but why the hell did it have to happen now that too in front of Manik. What if Manik got a hint may be?? Was it because my baby wanted her dad to know about her existence? I felt weak and as such I had not eaten anything since morning. I held to wall for support and just stood there for sometime.

Manik banged the door again, "Nandini are you okay??", he was worried .

"Manik are you crazy?? What are you doing here??", Mukti grabbed him by his arms ad pulled him aside,

"Mukti..there is something wrong with Nandini..she is not well"

"Yes..definitely she wanted to puke on your face and then she suddenly realised that you are not even worth it so she rushed to the bathroom", Mukti replied in a sarcastic tone and an animated face.

"What???", Manik was confused.

"Let's rest your what's and buts' and get out of here before anyone spots you in her room. You sure don't want to be kicked out within an hour of stepping in right.. so lets go", Mukti tried to make him aware of the surroundings and the grave situation."

Mukti managed to pull him out of my room.

When I came out I saw no one. I wanted to believe it was a dream no sorry a nightmare..that's what he is for me and will always be. But what the hell does he want now. He wanted to get me out of his life and I left him even if it meant killing myself a thousand times over but why does he again have to come back in my life. And the answer struck me of course to create more troubles; he was surely not satisfied with how everything ended between us. He couldn't finish it the way he wanted, he couldn't hurt me more, couldn't insult me more so now he tracked me down so that he could humiliate me in front of my family. How low can some one stoop just to satisfy his ego? I wanted answers. I quickly changed into a suit and stormed downstairs.