chapter one!

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖊𝖑, 𝖔𝖓𝖊

* * *

*   *   *

* * *

(  𝖜𝖔𝖑𝖋 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖓  )

Isabelle was rudely awoken by her damn alarm clock. Seriously? Why did she ever buy the stupid thing? And why did she have the smart idea to have it across the room so she'd have to get out of bed to turn it off.

After begrudgingly getting out of the comfort of her nice warm bed, she turned the alarm off (very tempted to just put the whole thing in the damned bin). With near immediate regret, the curtains were thrown open and the early morning sun shone straight into her eyes.

Cursing the whole time, Elle turned away from the blinding light to rub her very sore eyes. She trudged into the bathroom to brush her teeth, inspecting her chin for any spots. What? She got blemishes near her time of the month.

Once done, she made her way back to her room, feeling more awake and knowing there was no chance she could get back to sleep even if she wanted to. She checked her phone and found four missed calls from Lydia with seven texts demanding her first day back outfit to be sent and approved before she went anywhere.

Groaning once more, which was all she seemed to be doing, she snapped a picture of the pile of clothes on a chair in the corner of the room and sent it to her restless friend. Less than ten seconds later her phone blared the ringtone for the persistent strawberry-blonde best friend.

"What is that meant to be?" Lydia asked.

"What do you think it is, Lyds?"

"Don't take that tone with me! I'm simply making sure we are on top of our game this year, that's all. Now, show me properly." The clipped tone of her best friend came through the speaker.

"A black denim skirt and that white top from the boutique we found a couple weeks ago" The grey hoodie that was going to cover it remained silent. Elle slumped on her bed, waving her hand around as if Lydia could see through the speaker grill.

She waited with baited breath as Lydia hummed in consideration. "Fine, but only if you pair it with your black boots. Oh! And those really cute sunglasses."

The sunglasses were a pair from Dior that were being sold for cheap as they had a slight issue with one of the hinges on the arm. Lydia practically forced her to buy them, saying she would look fabulous. Of course, she did like them but she was always more of a Chanel girl than Dior.

"One more thing, I'm picking you up!"

"Yeah, I was counting on it." Elle replied before hanging up.

She got dressed relatively quickly and made her way back into her room again. Elle reached over her desk to the blinds and pulled them up. Turning towards her mirror, she approved of herself before sitting at her vanity desk. She crossed her fingers and sent a silent prayer that her braids had worked before unweaving the hair strands.