Chapter 5 ~ Regret

Cameron's P.O.V (Rejection)

I watched Jessica's features change from pure happiness to confusion, anger and sadness. Her eyes were wide with shock and glistening with tears waiting to be released. A wave of guilt washed over me as I stared at her owl like eyes. Then she was gone pushing her way through the crowd.

You rejected my mate! My wolf Kieran roared in my mind making me flinch.

It was for the best. The best for the Pack. The best for me. I replied slightly irritated by his outburst.

You are fool, he growled. You've rejected the only person that you'll ever love, the person that will truly understand us and the person that will stand by your side no matter what as our Luna.

I don't love her. Why would I love her? She's weak; ugly, useless and let's not forget an outcast. She is too weak to be the packs Luna, my mate. She would've destroyed what my father has built for us. I shot back.

If that is what you see then you are truly blind. She is not weak, she is as strong as all the packs combined. She is not ugly, she is as beautiful as the goddess herself and she is not an outcast, she is very special. No one knows how special she really is but in time our kind will know and so will all the other supernatural beings in our world. Our mate is important to them. She is important.

I was quiet as I let my wolfs words sink in. Then I laughed. I laughed so hard that my sides began to burn and tears were running down my face. I'm blind? You're the one that is blind. She will never be worthy enough to be our mate or Luna of the pack. She is not important; she will forever be an outcast. I will never accept her as my mate. You are just going to have to live with that.

As you wish Cameron, as you wish. Kieran said vanishing into the back of my mind. I tried to find him but he had retreated too far to the back of mind for me to contact him. With a sigh I stopped trying and ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

I lifted my head and saw that the crowed was still surrounding me with shocked faces all staring at me. "Scram!"  I shouted in my alpha voice. I watched as they all recoiled from the command and scampered off in different directions.

What was I going to do?

~*~

I traipsed up to the door of the pack house with Adam and Sam my third in command trailing behind me. When I opened the door I expected to see the dining room table covered with food for the pack, after all we do need to eat a lot as we have fast metabolisms and we burn a lot of calories when we run. To our surprise we saw the table completely bare, not even a crumb on the table. We looked around the house and saw that none of the chores had been done either.

I let out a growl as I stormed out of the house and over to the Brown's household, In search of the outcast.

Don't talk about our mate that way, Kieran growled.

Oh so now you want to talk to me, I sneered back at him.

I will not let you harm our mate!

I will do what I want! She has disrespected an alpha order, she must learn her place! I shut him out after that. No one disrespects an alpha order in doing so they disrespect an alpha.

I barged my way inside of the Brown's house, not even bothering to knock. I sniffed the air trying to find her scent but all I picked up was the salty scent. Someone was crying. I followed the scent and found myself in the living room staring at Jessica's parents crying their eyes out. Jessica's dad was the first to notice me.

"Alpha," his voice wavered, "what can I do for you?"

"I'm looking for Jessica. She needs to learn her place." I snarled. Mrs Brown let out a wail before she continued to sob into her mates' chest. Mr Brown whispered soothing words into her ear and rubbed small circles on her back. Slowly her sobs grew quieter and he shoulders began to relax. "What's going on David?"

He took a shaky breath, "It's Jessica. She's gone." My heart stopped as those words left his mouth. What did he men she was gone? Even if I had rejected her, I still had a pull towards her because of our bond and I didn't want her to get hurt.

"What do you mean she's gone?" I whispered.

"She never returned from school and we can't pick up her scent anywhere."

"I was such a terrible mother!" Lizzie shouted.

"And I was a terrible father," David whispered, "we are all to blame. We turned our backs on her and left her to struggle through life on her own. It's all of our faults." Tears flowed down his face as he buried his face into his mates' hair.

"What are we going to do?" I asked clenching my hands into fists.

"There's nothing we can do," David sighed in defeat, "all we can do is hope that she will return to us." He stood up with his mate in his arms and carried her up the stairs, leaving me alone in the living room with my thoughts.

I had already decided that I was not going to sit around and do nothing. I was going to find Jessica and bring her home. Not for me but for her parents.

~ A few months later ~ (Present)

We have been searching for Jessica for months now and we are nowhere near close to finding her. It's like she just fell off the face of the earth. I've sent out search parties after search parties and I have even contacted local packs to see if they had seen Jessica. But it was always that same result. She was nowhere to be found.

Her parents are still grieving for their little girl to come home and I was on my last leg before I was about to give up. Her disappearance has affected all of us. Adam was devastated when he found out the news, as he used to be her best friend and the closest thing she had to a brother. When I told him he fell to the ground crying. The majority of the pack were upset that she had gone. Before we all started to ignore and bully her, she would always brighten up everyone's day. Her sense of humour and her smile brought smiles to everyone's faces and her kind heart. She treated everyone as equals but yet here we are doing the exact opposite and stabbing her in the back. However, there are some people in the pack that are glad that she is gone, although it's mainly the girls around my age.

A knock on my office door interrupted my train of thought. "Come in," I said gruffly.

"Sorry Alpha. But there's no sign of her." A pack member named Daniel informed me.

"Thank you." I put my head in my hands. "You may go." The door shut and I was left on my own.

I glanced down at the maps of all the different territories scattered across my desk. They all had big red crosses through them. These are the areas that we have searched but we didn't find her. We have looked everywhere for her and now I think it's time that we give up. I really didn't want to give up, for her parents, but I can't put my pack through this for much longer. They're exhausted.

Everyone return home. There is nothing more we can do. I said through the mind link before quickly putting up a barrier so I couldn't hear their responses.

"Please return home Jessica. We all miss you."