Chapter 1: It's My Fault...

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU...YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SH**! ARE YOU STUPID OR DEAF?" ...Slap

"I TOLD YOU I WANTED CORONA NOT BUD LIGHT!" ...Slap

"CAN'T YOU GET ANYTHING RIGHT?!" ...Slap...Slap

"NOW, GO MAKE ME DINNER...and YOU BETTER NOT F*** IT UP EITHER! STUPID COW!" Manny my boyfriend of a year screamed at me after getting him the wrong beer.

After slapping me like he usually does when I do something wrong he pushed me down to the ground. At least this time he didn't kick me.

Standing up slowly from the floor, I made my way to the bathroom to wash my face and see how badly my face looked. My cheeks stung a bit but it will go away. I was used to it.

I made my way to the kitchen so I could start on Manny's dinner. He likes to eat around the same time every day so I had to get a move on it. I really didn't want to upset him again after my mix up with his beer.

Only having an hour before I had to leave for my evening class at the Community College I try to hurry and make his rice, beans and chicken. His favorite.

"Manny, dinner is ready!" I call out to him.

"Finally, what took you so long? I'm hungry." he snapped sitting on the kitchen table.

"Sorry, the chicken took longer than expected..." I apologized placing the plate down in front of him.

"Hmph." he responded picking up the fork and digging in.

I stood there watching him take his fist bite to make sure it was to his liking if not I will be punished.

"It's good...you're lucky." he says taking another serving and putting it in his mouth.

"Glad you like it." I say and smile to myself as I go to the counter to make myself a plate. I needed to hurry up and eat so I won't be late to my class.

Sitting down I set my plate down and start eating quietly. Manny continued eating and ignored me which I was fine with. It made it easy to not say anything wrong to him and for him not to lose his temper. He hardly hits me and I know that I usually provoke him by my mistakes. He has been very stressed at work so I shouldn't upset him.

Manny is taking EMT training to be a Firefighter so he's been tired from his shifts. He already has his Fire Science Degree so he's taking the next steps to become a Firefighter. I'm very proud of him.

"Are you going to class tonight?" he asked breaking the silence.

"Yes...for 6:30 pm." nodding at him while trying to swallow my food.

He looked at me with out saying a word. Feeling nervous I looked down and continued eating.

"Do you need me to take you?" he asked which surprised me. Usually I would take the car when he let me since he would stay home and drink when he had no work. Or he would take me so I didn't have to take the bus. I had a car but Manny had crashed it one night while intoxicated. I didn't have the money to get another car since the insurance didn't cover all the damages.

"Um, if you don't mind. I know how busy you are." I tell him lowly watching what and how I said it to him.

"I'm not...if I were I wouldn't be asking would I?"

"No...thank you." I respond then take a sip from my water.

Finishing my dinner I notice that he was done with his so I get up to clear our plates. Reaching down to pick his up he grabs my wrist which startles me.

"Please God, not again." I tell myself Praying that I didn't do anything to upset him.

"I'm sorry." Manny whispered looking up at me with sorrow.

I searched his eyes and I knew he was sorry for slapping me. He always is. If he had been drunk he'll apologize the next morning after he sobers up and when he's sober he'll apologize after he's calmed down. It's Manny's routine.

"It's alright...I was the one that brought you the wrong beer. I'm sorry." I whisper back.

He sighs and pulls me down on his lap and hugs me tightly. "I love you Kalene. With everything I am I love you. I didn't mean to slap you! It's just...I'm tired and stressed out. I need to finish my training so I could move on to everything else. Can you forgive me?" he pleaded cupping my cheek so I could look at him. His touch made me flinch a bit since my cheek was still hurting a bit.

"I forgive you Manny. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to get you the wrong beer. It won't happen again." I tell him putting my hand over his.

"Thank you baby. I will try to control my temper next time...I promise." he leaned his forehead on mine and sighed.

I felt so bad for Manny. He's been working so hard and hasn't been getting enough sleep. Between the night shift as an EMT, training at Headquarters and studying for the Firefighter exam he is overwhelmed so I understand why he slapped me. It was my fault for getting him the wrong beer. All he asks is for me to listen and to take care of him so he doesn't get upset. He doesn't like to loose his temper especially if it forces him to hit me.

"Okay." I say as he pulls away.

He pulls me closer and kisses me sweetly. I love when he does. It reminds me of when we first started dating and everything between us was so simple. I miss those days.

Pulling away he puts his hand behind my neck and says "There will never ever be another person that loves you more than me. No one." then pulls me in for another hug.

I put my head on his shoulder thinking about what he just told me. There will never be anyone that loves me as much as he does. Manny is a very handsome guy and he could have been with any woman he wanted, but he chose me. I'm no one special...I'm not tall and thin like the girls he's dated or beautiful at that. I've dated other guys before I met him and they never made me feel the way Manny does. Yeah he may hit me once in a while but it's my fault. I know what pushes his buttons and I shouldn't push them. I need to learn to be more patient and understanding of his feelings. He was never like this and I know he'll stop once he becomes a Firefighter. I just need to watch what I do and what I say to not provoke him...that's all...and then he'll be the Manny that he was when we first met.

"I know Manny...I know." and it was true. There will never ever be another person that loves me more than he does...like he's said to me before...he loves me to death...and that is what I'm afraid off.

A/N: Hello my readers and new readers. I decided to start a new story that is close to me. Though the characters are Fictional, Abuse is very real and it's very wrong. As the story continues, they'll be more situations between Kalene and Manny that might hit some of you at a personal level...I Pray that is NOT the case. I only Hope and Pray that there is a way out for you!

Kalene is with a man that physically and verbally abuses her. It's NOT on a regular basis but still he ABUSES her "Provoked" as he claims or Unprovoked! As the story continues I will reveal when it started and why she is still with him.

I do have other stories that I try to update as much as possible so bare with me on this one. I really hope you guys like this one...something told me to write this.

So, what do you guys think so far? I appreciate the comments, so PLEASE comment!

If you want to check out my other stories, check my Profile! Would love for you to read them!

Thanks for Reading, Voting and Commenting!