CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

When Professor Sprout had claimed an old friend would be the one Eleanor would be meeting, she had no idea she would be in the presence of Madam Amelia Bones, leaving her unsure of what to say or do. Thankfully, Amelia seemed to pick up on Eleanor's awkward vibes and invited the teenager to sit down. It was only when a server came over that one of them finally spoke, which was Amelia giving her drink order while Eleanor declined to have anything.

"I assure you, Ms Ross," Amelia began with a gentle smile, "you have nothing to be nervous about. I have only heard good things about you from Pomona. I find your ambition to be admirable, which was why I agreed to meet with you and discuss the possibility of an internship starting this summer."

"I'm sorry," Eleanor said, "it's just I've read a lot of your work when I've been studying up Wizarding Law, I didn't expect to be meeting you when Professor Sprout mentioned an old friend."

"Well, why don't we get started instead of getting caught up in formalities, you wish to enter law enforcement?"

"No, Madam," she replied, "not enforcement. I'm not really sure how to put it, but I guess I would want to be part of the process of creating laws or even repealing laws. Really, all I want to do is make the Wizarding World better for everyone involved, not just so certain groups are benefitting while others are struggling."

"Can you elaborate a bit more on that?"

Eleanor twiddled her fingers in her lap, wishing she had her knitting to keep her hands occupied.

"Up until recently, I grew up in a household with a single muggle mother," Eleanor started to explain, "she didn't have much of a concept of magic or what to expect. I started showing accidental magic as a baby and she was terrified. There was no help or explanation given to her, we didn't know I was a witch until I was eleven years old. By then, our relationship was so incredibly strained. The Wizarding World is really flawed thinking that an acceptance letter can fix everything because it didn't fix everything right away."

Perhaps to some, they would have considered Eleanor to be oversharing, but honestly, at the moment, she didn't care. She hoped that by sharing her story that some good would come out of it, at least, to help save others from experiencing what she and Margaret had gone through.

"I know a lot of people would put the blame on my mother for not being more accepting, I know I put all the blame on her for so long. But I know now that it wasn't all of her fault, in reality, she was let down by the Ministry, which plays little no involvement when it comes to letting muggles in, even when they have a magical child. My grandfather, Lyall, said they wouldn't even let my grandmother go to St Mungo's initially to visit her own son, all because she was a muggle..."

"You wouldn't happen to be talking about Lyall Lupin, would you?"

Eleanor nodded her head.