~7~

His pulse quickened at the sight of her, so close now he only needed to cross the room. He could feel her readiness, and those turquoise eyes dazzled him as they held his gaze. It was true. They were like the sea. If he wasn't careful, he would make things too easy. Better to play the aloof card to temper her interest. 

Reluctantly, he turned his attention back to the fathead blocking his entrance. "I assure you, Z, I am only here to seek a respite from my own monotonous surroundings. It has been too long since I gave my legs a stretch and taken a breath of fresh air."

"Yes, I hear fresh air is in short supply down under."

He ignored Z's jab, having tired of their insulting banter eons ago. "I merely wish to commune with our friends, enjoy the delicacies of the banquet table, and offer my regards to the birthday girl."

Z's hand clenched into a fist, and the energy behind that small gesture caused the hem of his jacket to flutter, but even Z was not foolish enough to make a scene now. "Lexi is off limits, Had... Er... Luke. There is a banquet of delicacies, as you put it, from this continent to the next. Go satisfy your urges elsewhere."

"What makes you think I am here to satisfy an urge? You seem to be doing a fine job of that, yourself. This is a lovely retreat you have arranged here; recreation, libation, and an estate fit for a king. Or should I say, 'a god'?" He let his words linger in the air like electricity before a lightning strike. "Now, if you will excuse me, I have friends who deserve an apology for my long absence."