Thirty Three

"No, Jack. I don't want to be with Sam." I say and he visibly relaxes.

Yeah! I'm gonna want to be with Sam after I just accepted your proposal! Jack is so unbelievable. His thoughts go way beyond.

Jack lets out a breath, "good and don't believe anything he said." He tells me.

I leave out the part where Sam called me 'loose'. Not sure if it was out of impulse, or if he actually meant it. Jack's hand goes up to caress my cheek, breaking me from my thoughts.

"I can tell you're overthinking. Stop that." He says, grabbing my hand and running his thumb over my ring.

"It's so appealing to the naked eye." I say, changing the subject with an Australian accent, and referring to my ring.

Jack snorts, "you're appealing to the eye when you're naked." He smirks.

"You always have to twist my words, don't you, Gilinsky?" I slightly smile.

He's put me in a somewhat better mood already.

"It's my job to twist your words." He grins, just gazing at me intently.

"Do I have something on my face? Stop looking at me." I joke.

"I love you so much." He smiles fondly and then changed the topic. "Tomorrow morning, I have a meeting to go to. I don't want you to suspect anything when I leave early."

I nod my head, but then my eyebrows furrow, "meeting for what?"

"I'm investing in a company." He shrugs.

"Following in the footsteps of your dad?" I ask and he rolls his eyes.

"I don't want to feel like I just snag his money. Even though I'm using his money to buy the company. It'll all work out in the end." He rambles, wanting to stop explaining.

I guess it would be good for him to invest in a company, even though he's already super stacked. What would he even invest in? I have no clue on what he's interested in. Maybe the engaged life is changing him (sarcasm okay).

I'm just glad that Jack is maturing. Jack slightly frowns as he brings his hand up to caress my face again. What? Is he suddenly realizing how ugly I am and that he's stuck with me forever?

"What?" I ask.

"Your eyes are still red from crying." He shrugs and I purse my lips.

Sam hates me.

"Want me to talk to him for you?" Jack asks and it's like he just read my mind.

I shake my head, "I don't want him to hate you."

"Sam's hates me before. I'll just buy him something and he'll forgive me." Jack explains and I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

"You think that money is always the answer."

"It is, isn't it?" He slightly smiles.

I shake my head once more, getting up from the barstool I'm sitting on. I start to walk down the hall to the staircase.

"Where are you going?" Jack asks me.

I shrug my shoulders, turning back, "to wash my face."

I don't like the tear stained cheeks I have right now. Like an obedient puppy, Jack follows behind me and up the stairs. I smile to myself as I hear his footsteps behind me.

"I can actually talk to Sam for you if you want." Jack offers again.

Drop the topic, geez.

"No, it's fine. I'll apologize to him." I say.

For whatever really.

Jack's eyebrows pull together as he sits on the edge of the bed, "apologize for what? You didn't do anything?" He pauses. "Right?"

"I don't think I did anything. I just didn't know he gained feelings for me, you know?"

"So, what you're saying is that, if you knew he had actual feelings for you, you wouldn't have said yes to my proposal?" He stupidly asks.

I let out an exasperated sigh, "no, Jack." I suddenly snap. "I didn't say that."

I go into the bathroom and close the door. I don't want to feel his eyes burning into me and watching me. I turn off the sink once I'm done washing my face and refreshing myself. There's a soft knock on the bathroom door.

"I'll wait downstairs for you, baby." I hear Jack's dry voice.

I towel dry my damp face and his footsteps become quieter as he leaves the room. I can't get what Sam said out of my mind. I definitely want to make up with him before next year so he can come to our wedding. That wouldn't be awkward, right?

Shaking off the many thoughts, I walk downstairs. I hear Jack on the phone and his voice is fairly calm. He isn't shouting and I assume he's talking to Sam because my name came up.

Jack's eyes flicker to me and he quickly ends the call, biting his bottom lip. His eyes show guilt and I'm not burning with rage. I'm just impassive. I don't like that he defied my words, but I'm not angry.

"I told you not to talk to him." I lamely say, my shoulders dropping significantly.

"I couldn't help it." He shrugs, his voice apologetic.

"Did you make the situation worse or what?" I ask, walking towards the kitchen island.

"Well, no. He, for sure, is still angry at you and a little at me. He'll cool off." Jack adds. "Just give him two days or so."

How can he be so sure? If I were Sam, I'd never forgive me. I let out a deep breath and lean my elbows on the counter.

"Don't stress, please." Jack says.

He's always telling me not to stress, but I can't help it!

"Life's good for you. Rich and good looking fiancé, a mansion, a gold car, what could possibly be missing?"

I roll my eyes. Jack's so conceited. One thing that could be missing is Sam. He's a kind and funny friend. Always finds the fun and good in everything.

"A dog." I lie and Jack's eyes widen. "What?"

"You don't want one, do you?" He nervously asks.

"Why?"

"We're not letting a dog live in here. I have a dog in a Omaha, but I don't want a dog in this house." He emphasizes.

I shrug my shoulders, looking through the bags that Jack brought in earlier. Mainly fruit is in there.

"If you want one, we can compromise because you know I can be flexible with things when it comes to you." Jack stands across the table from me.

I shrug again. My shoulders should be tired by now. Jack sighs, clearly getting frustrated with how mute and blunt I'm being.

"You overthink things too much." He scolds, shaking his head. "Not trying to be mean, baby, but not everything is always going to be about you. People have it much worse than you. You just lost one friend temporarily, so what?"

{vote, comment, share}

PLAYS ROAST BELL