chapter nine

dan

Dan doesn't want to go to school.

He never does, out particularly today. Yesterday marked the end of Dan and Phil's week long detention, and this afternoon, they are due for yet another attempt at their English project.

"Bye Shawn," Dan says, waving at his brother as he heads off into the primary school, "I'll be home late this afternoon."

"Why?" Shawn asks, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at Dan, folding his arms over his chest, "what are you doing?"

"I'm going to a guy's house, Phil, we're working on an English project together," Dan explains, "seriously, it's fine lil' bro."

Dan sighs in defeat when he sees his brother's expression. He doesn't trust Dan, and even though he has reason in not trusting his brother, Dan is telling the truth this time.

"Fine, we'll do it at our house then," Dan says, "if it makes you happy."

"It does Danny!" Shawn says, smiling and hugging Dan, "I'm just looking out for you."

"I know, but that's supposed to be my job," Dan says, "now go in to school, and don't call me Danny."

Shawn just grins before turning and running into the school. Dan watches as he joins his friends - a picture of innocence and happiness. Despite his somewhat crappy home life, Shawn is happy at school, he has friends, he has an escape, and for that, Dan is grateful.

"Dan, no bailing okay?" Phil says sternly, approaching Dan as he walks into school, "we're going to my house an we are finishing this thing."

"I can't go to your house, sorry," Dan says, smirking when he sees Phil's face - he enjoys stirring Phil up.

"Why not?!" Phil asks angrily.

"Because, I promised my brother we'd do it at my house," Dan shrugs, "he thinks I'm staying out to do drugs."

"I like your brother already," Phil says.

"I like my brother too, we finally have something in common," Dan says, rolling his eyes, "now I'm leaving, go talk to your own friends. I think I heard somewhere that I stole from the Queen."

And then Dan walks off, leaving Phil to wander over to his friends.

phil

Phil approaches Louise and Caspar after Dan walks away.

"Hey Phil, you'll never guess what I heard!" Caspar says excitedly, "I heard Dan Howell stole a ring from the Queen!"

Phil raises his eyebrows doubtfully, partially wanting to laugh from what Dan had just said to him. It's like Dan can read the future or something.

"I doubt that is true Caspar," Phil says, rolling his eyes at his friend, "he'd probably be in jail for that."

"Yeah, I guess so," Caspar says, shrugging, "still entertaining and amusing though, the things everyone comes up with."

"Kind of mean though, I mean, how would you like all those rumors to be about you instead of Dan?" Phil asks, looking between Louise and Caspar.

"Not much," Caspar mumbles, looking downwards.

"Hey Caspar, you coming to the party at mine tonight?" a short, tanned guy asks, leaning over Caspar's shoulder, "your friends can come too."

He smiles at Louise and Phil, before turning back to Caspar. "So, you in mate?"

"Sure, sounds good, see you tonight Joe," Caspar says, smiling at Joe, "six yeah?"

"Yep, six," Joe confirms, patting Caspar's back before running over back to his footballer friends.