Family

Hermione was stood in their small kitchen looking out of the window waiting for the cake to be done. It was their little daughters first birthday today. Hermione had only wanted a small gathering of friends and family, so the potters were coming with the boys and a few of the other Weasleys said they'd pop in for a bit at some point.

As she got the cake out the oven Rose toddled in, princess dress in hand.

"Mummy I be princess today," she said as she reached for her mum's hand.

"Okay, you can be mummy's little princess," Hermione replied.

If you would have asked Rose she would have said that she had the best birthday ever. Not that she'd had any others to compare it too. They potters left before eight, Hermione had read her little girl  story before going to bed herself. It hadn't taken Ron and her long to get back to how it had been before. Rose had been confused at why they'd left and come back but her parents told her it was a holiday. They'd tell her the real story when she was older.

Al's first birthday was fast approaching and Harry and Ron had decided they would organise everything and let the girls have break.

Ron stumbled back into their mall apartment late one day after work after having supposedly planning Al's party with Harry but obviously having second thoughts and going the pub. Him slamming the door woke Hermione but left little Rose undisturbed.

Hermione ran out of bed and into the kitchen to make sure everything was all right, not forgetting her wand of course. She flung the kitchen door open wand held in front of her to find a drunken Ron leaning against the counter struggling to regain balance. 

"I thought you were planning the party with Harry," Hermione shouted at her husband.

"He had to get back to Ginny and I thought I saw Neville go into the bar but it wasn't him. So i had a couple of drinks and came home," Ron slurred.

"I think it was a few more than a couple."

"Three maybe four fire whiskeys, that's all!" He took hold of Hermione's arm and pulled her towards him. He kissed her hard on the mouth before she pulled away.

"You need to go to bed and sober up," Hermione sad calmly.

"No,  I'm perfectly fine," he said as he pulled Hermione's lips back to his. He picked her up and sat her on the counter before trying to deepen their kiss, but Hermione pulled away again.

"Ron, no. We need to get some sleep."

"Not yet," he replied. He wrapped his arms around Hermione's waist and tried to kiss her again.

"Petrificus Totalus," Hermione screamed remembering she had her wand. Ron fell to the floor quite hard, "Sorry," Hermione whispered as she crept back in to  bed leaving Ron in the middle of the floor to think.

That's what seemed to happen every Friday night from then on. At some point or other Ron would be left alone on the kitchen floor to 'think'. Hermione knew she couldn't do this forever but he no longer had any joy in waking up next to the freckled red-head. Deep down she knew she would probably have to leave him at some point but couldn't bring herself to do that to Rose.