Remind Me Never to get Drunk Again. Part 1

Reader/Legolas. On the hunt for Merry and Pippin, you decide to stop off at a local tavern with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn. Drunk!Reader accidentally confesses her love to Legolas whilst under the influence, then completely forgets about it the next day.

****************************************

You laughed and took another swig from your tankard of ale. Aragorn had said a joke that you didn't quite understand, but everyone else found it funny, so you decided to join in.

You, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli had decided to stop off in a small tavern before returning to searching for Merry and Pippin, the two hobbits who had been kidnapped by a band of orcs. Well, you say 'decided'... In reality, if you hadn't had a break, you would have collapsed. Running all day may be easy for an elf and a ranger, but you and Gimli were finding it much harder.

"Another drink, (Your Name)?" came a voice from your left, and you turned your head to the side to see Aragorn holding aloft two massive tankards of ale, a dopey grin plastered on his face.

"You know me so well..." you muttered, smirking, before taking the large beverage out of his hands, and taking a large gulp.

Gimli guffawed and slapped you on the back, almost losing his balance on his stool, "Aye, I like a girl who can handle a drink!"

You chuckled and turned to face Legolas, who had his nose turned up at the large tankard in his hand.

"What?" you joked, "Not to your 'high standards'?"

The left corner of his lip turned upwards in a small show of amusement and he raised one eyebrow.

"I do not think it is a good idea to become intoxicated. We are on a very important mission-"

He was cut off unceremoniously by Gimli letting out a particularly large belch, followed by the hooting laughter of everyone surrounding him.

"Let the lass have a drink, laddie!" he all but yelled at the elf, "We all deserve a break!"

"I can drink to that!" agreed Aragorn, tilting his head back and necking the rest of his ale.

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

You grinned at Legolas and lifted your tankard to your lips.

"And then he said to me..." you slurred, lifting your sixth tankard in the air for emphasis "He said, 'Only if you eat the whole chicken, too!"

The table around you burst into laughter. Even Legolas, who has refused to drink anything all night, chuckled as you delivered the punchline to your 'Farmer from Rohan' anecdote.

You finished off the last of your drink and looked over to Gimli, who was passed out on a table, his red hair splayed out in a halo as he snored gently. Aragorn was next to him, his eyelids fluttering as he struggled to stay awake.

"WHO'S FOR ANOTHER DRINK!?" came the slurred call from one of the men on the table, a loud cheer went up.

"I think you've had enough..." a low voice murmured into your ear, and you felt yourself being steered away from the table by a firm hand on your elbow. Legolas was walking you towards the bar, where the barman took one look at you, gave Legolas a sympathetic glance, and handed him the key to an upstairs room.

"Good luck with that one, buddy. She's gonna have a belter of a headache in the morning..." he said good-naturedly to Legolas as he nodded in thanks and walked you towards a small flight of stairs in the corner of the room.

"No way." You blurted, "I'm not walking up those, I'll just... I'll just sleep here..."

And true to your word, you curled up at the bottom of the stairs, ignoring the disgruntled look on Legolas' face.

You felt a strong pair of arms wrap around your waist and hoik you up from your comfy position, before picking you up and carrying you. Legolas cradled you to his chest as he walked slowly up the darkened staircase.

"I knew this was a bad idea..." he grumbled.

"Don't be such a spoilsport." you muttered in reply, earning a smirk from him.

"You know..." you continued, the alcohol in your system brutally axe-murdering any inhibitions you may have had originally, "You're very pretty, Legolas."

He froze, a confused look on his face.

"Wow... you really have had too much to drink, huh?"

"NO!" you almost yelled, startling him in your urgency, "I'm pissed out of my brain right now and I know I won't say this to you when I'm sober. This is very very very very important!"

You poked his firm chest with your finger to emphasise the gravity of the situation.

Legolas rolled his eyes, barely covering a smile, as he reached the door and nudged it open with his hip, "Well I'm all ears, then. If it's so important."

"It is." you insisted, as he laid you down gently on the bed and proceeded to walk out of the door, "Legolas I love you."

He stopped still, his back turned to you. Very slowly, he turned his head towards you and looked you in the eyes.

"You're drunk, (your name)," he said softly, a small smile on his lips, his eyes almost... wistful?

"No I do I love you I always have. I'm just usually too sober to admit it to you. But now I'm not. So I love you. End of story." you slurred rather abruptly.

He walked towards the bed and pulled up a small chair beside it, sitting down in it and holding your hand, his calloused thumb stroking your little finger.

"You're not going to remember any of this in the morning, are you?" he asked sadly.

"Probably not, no." you admitted.

"Well in that case, I love you too."

You were silent for a moment, not moving, just staring into the endless blue pools of his eyes.

"Also, when I first met you, I thought you were a girl."

He burst into laughter unexpectedly, shaking his head almost imperceptibly.

"I assure you I am not."

"Ok. Good. I'm tired now. I think I'm going to sleep."

Legolas snorted in laughter at the abruptness of your statement.

You rolled over away from him and laid your head down on the pillow, and almost immediately, your breathing slowed and you fell into a deep sleep.

Legolas slowly lifted his hand, and brushed a single strand of hair from out of your face, before sighing deeply, pulling the blankets up over your shoulders, and sitting back on his stool, eyes closed.

He was not looking forward to waking you up in the morning.

************