You Don't Believe in Me?

Oneshot written for Queralt. Legolas gets into a fight with his father over the fate of a girl...

*******************************

Queralt sighed and tucked a loose strand of dark brown curly hair behind her pale, pointed ear. She was perched on a small stool outside Thranduil's chambers, and even through the thick, mahogany door, she could hear loud shouting coming from inside.

"I am your father Legolas and I have made my decision! My word is final!"

Queralt cringed at the harsh tone in Thranduil's voice. She was used to his angry outbursts, but she had never before heard them directed at his son, Legolas.

Rubbing her temple with a slender finger, she could feel a thumper of a headache coming on, she stood up and placed her half-read book on the stool. Usually, she enjoyed reading. The feeling of entering a different world fascinated her, but today it was just distracting.

What could Legolas be doing in there?

A loud bang from inside the room made her jump. Her hand automatically grabbed the hilt of the dagger on her belt, but she relaxed when she heard Legolas' voice.

"She will get hurt, father! I'm not going to watch that happen!"

A shuffle of footsteps told Queralt that Legolas was about to walk out of the door, so she leaped behind a large pillar as fast as she could. Her and Legolas had been courting for a while, but even so, she didn't think that his father would appreciate her eavesdropping on his private conversations.

"Sometimes I wonder if you really are my father!"

"You may return when you have calmed down, Legolas."

From behind the pillar, she could clearly see the tall silhouette of Legolas exiting the room, fists clenched. He turned and slammed the door with such force, it caused Queralt's teeth to rattle, and then he sat down on the floor, his head in his hands.

Warily, she stepped out from behind the pillar, and Legolas looked up at her, his blue eyes connecting with her much darker ones.

"I'm sorry that you had to hear that..." he admitted, standing up and brushing down his leggings with one hand. Queralt was tall for a female, but even so, Legolas stood at least a head taller, and she had to crane her neck to look up at him.

"What were you talking about?"

"Nothing," Legolas replied cryptically, pushing her away and walking past her towards the main gates. She followed, jogging to catch up with his long stride as he pushed through the gates and walked outside, heading to the forest.

She caught up with him finally, and settled into walking beside him, every two of his strides fitting in with three of hers. His face was grave, and she knew that something was wrong, but didn't want to anger him by asking, so they walked in a contented silence.

After about half an hour, Queralt stopped in her tracks. Legolas continued walking for a few paces, then looked behind himself, confused.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his eyebrow raised.

"I could ask you the same question." Queralt responded quickly, taking a step towards him, "What's got you so angry?"

Legolas closed his eyes and sighed deeply, "You wouldn't understand..."

"Try me."

Rubbing his temple with one hand, a coping trick he had learnt from Queralt, he sat himself down on a large fallen tree trunk and looked up at her. She rolled her eyes and sat down next to him, their knees just touching.