Chapter 27

"Elizabeth," Tom breathed out as her pale, veiny eyelids cracked open. Her usually lively chocolate eyes were bloodshot. She looked sick, very sick.

"Tom," she croaked back. She hadn't spoken for days.

"Matron," Tom called out plainly. The matron almost skipped across to where Elizabeth and Tom were and began to assess Elizabeth's health.

"Well, you are good to go. You might feel lightheaded often. Take it easy, dear."

With that, Tom heaved Elizabeth up onto his shoulder and helped her walk to the Slytherin common room.

"How long was I... out?" Elizabeth questioned hesitantly as Tom began to lead her to her dorm.

"A few days," Tom responded. He helped Elizabeth up the stairs and opened the door for her. She carefully stepped inside and as she began to turn to bid him goodbye, Tom followed her in.

"You didn't really think I'd leave you alone, did you?" He asked in disbelief, "Elizabeth, I've missed the last three days' worth of lessons for you."

"You didn't have to," Elizabeth said, her cheeks turning rosy. She meant it. She didn't expect him to waste away any of his education for her.

"I know all of the curriculum anyway," Tom mumbled as he sat beside her on her springy bed. Elizabeth's hand reached out for his but he pulled away slightly. He said, "Elizabeth, I... I'm going to find out who did this."

"I know," Elizabeth replied passively, "There's nothing I could do to stop you."

"You want to know who it was as well," Tom stated as he watched her with a questioning expression.

"I know that too," Elizabeth giggled slightly. Her voice was hoarse and weak.

"Rest," Tom muttered as he pulled her covers over her frail body.

"Tom, please stay..." Elizabeth managed to say before she fell asleep again.

Tom watched her shaking figure. She was cold, but so was he. What good would his embrace do? He didn't care if he made it worse. She asked him to stay so he did. He wrapped his arms around her frail waist, hoping that soon she would get out of this state.

Later

Elizabeth woke up slowly. Tom was gone but she knew he'd stayed. When she woke up in the middle of the night after having a nightmare - or flashback, rather - Tom was beside her and held her until she fell back asleep, but he'd whispered, "I'll have to go soon, Lizzie."

It seemed that Elizabeth being in danger had melted Tom Riddle's frozen heart. The ice had shattered and revealed something so much more underneath. Could it be that the cure to Tom's inability to love was to love? 

Tom could almost feel it himself. He was slipping away from the moments where he lost his humanity and his sanity. His inner evilness was breaking away and he was losing who he was going to become - Lord Voldemort. He didn't want to. He needed murder. He needed to make a Horcrux. He knew all he needed to know. If only Elizabeth would consider a life of immortality alongside him; if only she would accompany him along his journey to his plans...

Would she?