Chapter Twenty-One

So the second half of MBL will be up now! Please vote and comment !

It felt as though my heart stopped beating as I met the blue eyes that stared back. 

"James," said Darius, breaking the silence that seemed to go on forever but was really a brief second or two. 

James held out the pie and Darius laughed, shaking his head. "How have you been?" he asked.

"Heartbroken since someone didn't reply to my phone calls all week," he replied. Darius laughed uncomfortably as he stood up. So James was the one calling?

Right now, I would have preferred a skinny–size, negative nine supermodel calling him instead. James's eyes looked down, meeting mine, and I turned around in my seat as they continued talking. 

Alicia looked at me, her eyes brows furrowing.

"Are you okay?" Alicia asked and I jumped in surprise. 

"Oh yea. No, I just... Isn't it hot in here?" I asked, fanning myself for emphasis. She raised her eyebrows and I bit my lip, looking around.

"I'm going to get some fresh air." Without waiting for her reply, I stood up. 

"Ooh, me too. I'll come with you," she said, looking at the pie distastefully before standing up.

I didn't want her to come but she followed me as I made my way outside. The air was relaxing and I greedily sucked it in. What was he doing here?

Of course, he was Miss Alvin's son. All the times I had been with him, not once had he mentioned family or names even. I knew I should have doubted him then. We had been together longer than I could remember and he had been to my house a million times and met my parents but I had never really met his.

"Are you okay?"

I looked at Alicia with a nod and felt the hot sting at the back of my throat. Oh god, Ivory, don't cry now. 

Alicia continued when I remained quiet. "Because you look like you saw a ghost." 

I let out a nervous laugh. I was expecting her to say that because, in fact, I did see a ghost. A ghost of my past. 

"There you are."  

I looked to see Miss Alvin walking toward us.

"My son's here somewhere. I was going to introduce him but then you ladies left. Never mind. At dinner I will introduce you. That reminds me, are you both hungry?"

I shook my head, surreptitiously signaling at Alicia to say no. Oh dear, no more pies.

"Oh good. James gave me this brilliant idea. He said not everyone would like seafood so I have the chef cook some other food, so hopefully it should be done soon. Smart boy. I have never imagined someone not liking seafood," she said and I nodded vigorously.

Of course, he asked to change the menu. I could feel my nails digging into my skin.

"You ladies head back inside before you get sick. Off you go, both of you. Dinner should be soon, hopefully," she said, making gestures with her hands to shoo us back inside. 

Alicia shrugged her shoulders and grabbed my arm, pulling me inside. Instead of taking me toward the table, she took me to an isolated parlour room. She closed the door behind us.

"Alright, girly, speak," she said, crossing her arms and waiting.

"About what?"

"You know exactly what. Trust me, I know that look," she snapped.