Chapter Twenty

Roman didn't look very frightening if you just glanced at him. He had these kind crystal blue eyes and a relaxed demeanor about himself. He smiles the whole time, crinkles around his eyes as he made remarks that pretty much boosted our morale.

It also confused me on whether he wanted us to beat him or not. He wasn't even caring for the others though. He was mostly targeting Scott and I, his initial targets.

He had claws, though they were black like his eyes and didn't paralyze us like his brothers'. Instead it sent a burning sensation through the wound, making it fill like their were a thousand needles going through the wound. His teeth were that of a wendigo like Leo's, but his fangs leaked this substance that I didn't want near me. His arms had those spikes that were more sharper than any metal.

He fought with a grin on his face, savoring every moment of his deadly tango with Lexi. They slashed against each other constantly inflicting wounds, though he'd hit her less than she hit him. He spared no others though. He looked completely contempt with harming Scott and I. His rage against Scott was most evident as he knew what was going to happen.

Each time he striked against Scott one of us, either Lexi or I, tried to use that distraction to inflict the killing blow. Isaac and Liam tried their best to gather his attention as well.

The fact that he was a hunter didn't really help us at all. He was adept in martial arts and he had the strength of a Berserker. Lexi and I had to unify most of our attacks because one strike would send one of us flying back. Liam had the advantage when it came to betas. I wanted to be near Liam so much, to protect him. Getting close to him would put him in danger though however.

I knew that Roman was lashing out against me with all his strength. His slashes from his arms cut through the air, sharp enough to make a sound that was close to the ones like in the movies. I stepped back just in time not to get sliced but enough to get my shirt ripped. I frowned because something wasn't right.

I looked at my comrades, the way he was slicing at everybody, missing their skin yet still getting part of their shirts. However that sound reached my ears each time. Something we important about it and it freaked me out that I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Then a ringing reached my ears, making me reach out to touch my ears. There was blood leaking out and I stopped to look at everyone, realizing the same was happening to them as well. They didn't realize it however, though Roman had a satisfied grin on his face.

"Lexi!" I screamed. Her head turned towards me as I fell back away from Roman. "He's slowing us down." I told them. "I don't know how but we're getting slower."

"What?"

"He's saying the soundwaves are making you all slower." Roman said simply. He had his legs crossed at the shins, his arms held out to the side as he stood in full form. It was impossible to understand how such an attractive family of brothers was so dangerous. I looked over to Nathan who was finally breathing soundly, the blood done pouring out of him. He looked at me then at Isaac and the look they shared was the same one I use to give Derek. I wasn't going to let either of them die, not if my life depended on it.

I charged forward at Roman, my claws extended as I tried to reach out for his face. I was trying to grab something, anything with my claws that I could slice. His movement blurred as he stepped around me, his hand grabbing the back of my neck and slamming me face first against the ground.

"Did you not hear me say that you're slower than before. I haven't increased my speed at all." He told me. "Everything's different for you. You can't possibly think you can win."

"You have to submit to cheap tricks to win so who's weaker?" I asked.

"Well only the weak ones are susceptible to such a simple trick." He whispered. He flipped sideways, using one hand to anchor his body to put himself back up right. Lexi's leg was where his face previously was, her face twisted in rage. "See how it's not bothering either of the alphas." He said, looking at me with amusement.