b i t e

Newt's POV

Spit and blood seeped from the Crank's skin and mouth, splattering on my face. I could smell the strong scent of decay and mould tingling against my skin.
I was now in the same position as Ben, except he was, unfortunately, having worse luck than I was. The Crank was only inches from biting him.
I started to scream - not for me, for Ben. - Why was everyone just standing there, watching? Why wasn't anybody trying to help him?
I knew better than any of them what it felt like to become a Crank, slowly turning insane. It's the worst feeling in the world knowing that you're going to loose everything, and you can't do anything about it. I knew I couldn't just stand there and watch as I let my friend go through that hell.
The mangled, grimy hand of the Crank reached out for my throat, its decaying, rotten fingernails scratching across my skin.
With force, I tried to roll on top of the Crank, or at least out from underneath it. But it managed to keep me pinned down, lowering it's head even closer to my neck, ready to bite.
I could feel it's bloody, matted, unkempt hair brushing across my neck. I knew this was it.
But, I couldn't help but wonder, why didn't anyone - especially Tommy - try helping me?
I closed my eyes and gave up to the deranged Crank on top of me, feeling defeated. It took all of my strength to try to push the Crank out from above me, but even so, it was no use. The Crank, although half-dead, managed to remain strong.
The Crank on top of me pressed itself down on my chest, making it hard to breathe. I gasped for air as the monster above me snarled and chomped at the air around us. Somehow I had managed to move my head in such a way that the Crank hadn't gotten to bite my neck. Yet.
Suddenly, I could hear the groans of the Crank getting louder, and with my blurred vision, I could vaguely see a figure knocking the Crank off of my body. It felt as if a weight had been lifted from my chest, allowing me to catch my breath again. Wheezing, I felt a hand wrap around my own, pulling me to my feet.
"Jesus, Newt," Thomas cried, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm such a shitty boyfriend, Jesus, I can't even protect you from-"
"Tommy, calm down." I tried to give him a reassuring smile. "I survived. You did save me. That's all that matters, right?"
Thomas shook his head frantically, tears heavily streaming down his face. I tried to cup his cheek in my hand and wipe his tears away with my thumb, but Thomas pulled away, stumbling over his own feet.
"No, Newt," he whispered in a hoarse voice, pointing at my blood soaked pant-leg. "I didn't save you."