Chapter 43-Ashes [E]

Caitlin looked closely watching Julien with her.  The tenderness in his eyes killed her. His arms possessively holding her by him was ripping her into shreds. It was obvious he loved her. Never once did Julien make an effort to make her feel special or held her as he was holding Annie. He was always cold and distant when they were together.

"I've heard the rumors...ice queen, I can see why now...I don't know what he even sees in you."  Eyeing Annie up and down distastefully.  "You really look like a stiff, cold, heartless statue." Switching her gaze back and forth between the two of them. "Oh, and there is just one more thing I'd like to share before we finish up here...he's great in bed." Caitlin revealed in all seriousness. 

They were going to suffer for hurting her, watching greedily as Annie's body tenses like an ice sculpture.

Once Cailtin uttered those words, Annie's head snapped up making the layers around her face appear disheveled. 

A instantaneous switch flipped inside her. 

All the pain and the hurt molded within a nanosecond, into hate and anger.  It was gnawing her insides as it burnt in her blood like hot molten lava. The defeated look was wiped clean off her face, left behind was a face contorted with fury.   Never before has she felt such lack of control. 

No more....She thought with a shake of her head.

No more allowing anyone to step on her. 

No more letting anyone hurt her emotionally. 

Time to show people how Ice cold she can become.

Wrenching her arm from Julien's slack grip, she noticed from the corner of her eyes as he stood stunned-speechless at Caitlin, the disbelief penetrating his features making Annie scoffed internally. 

"You sick twisted bìtch."  Annie said calmly and quietly, taking long strides to close the short gap between them.  She watched in satisfaction as Caitlin took small steps back in fear and the smug expression could no longer be seen on her face. 

Before Annie could take another step, Julien caught her wrist and spun her towards him. She struggled against him, pushing against his rock hard chest, refusing to look him in the eye.  "Stay out of this!  You've done enough don't you think?"  She said bitterly to his face. 

In an instant he released her without a word.   Mustering all the courage she had, Annie turned and away from him and focused on her target, Caitlin.

They stood face to face.  As she was backing away, Cailtin became cornered against the console and mirror standing against the wall.   A beautiful tall vase full of white roses stood on top of the table.  Annie imagined smashing the vase over her head or maybe emptying the contents of the vase and soaking her in old-stale water.   But it wasn't enough to satisfy the gnawing need to hurt her and take back the degrading comment.

Just seconds before she knew what course of action she was going to take, a flashing scene played in front of her eyes— the memory of them kissing passionately in front of her.  It could not be erased nor the stabbing pain she felt that day and every day afterward.

With all the strength she could muster, Annie raised her hand and a resounding slap echoed against the walls of the grand foyer. It was slightly satisfying yet still not enough to erase the what she felt.  The only thing Annie felt was the numbing, swelling and pounding of her red fingers and palm.