(6) jealous

Sophie was hurrying down the halls of Foxfire after school, trying to beat the rush of prodigies flooding out of the building, when she felt an arm hook through hers.

"Hey," Dex grinned at her from her right side. "Am I coming over to your house today?"

She blinked, suddenly remembering her promise to him. "Oh, Dex, I was actually—"

"Hey." Someone slung an arm over her shoulders. "Biana and I are still coming over later today, right?" Fitz's eyes sparkled down at her.

Before Sophie could respond, Dex leaned over. "Um." He held up a finger. "I'm going to Sophie's house today."

"Oh, hey man." Fitz grinned. "Didn't see you there."

"Surprise," Dex grumbled.

Sophie felt like she was going to combust. Not only were both boys beginning to gently tug her in opposite directions, but the look she was getting from numerous female prodigies weren't very reassuring. She felt her face heat up under their glares.

"Hey, guys..." she started.

"What's going on...?" Keefe asked, suddenly appearing in front of the trio. He still had on his trademark smirk but his arms were crossed stiffly.

Sophie locked eyes with him. Help?

Her friends dropped their arms immediately. "Oh, don't tell me you're going to be at Havenfield, too," Dex groaned. He and Fitz glanced at Sophie expectantly.

"Sorry guys, I actually did promise Keefe we could... study together..."

She looked over at the Empath questioningly. He shrugged with one shoulder, his jaw clenched. Uh-oh. Was he mad?

"Oh. Can... we study with you guys?" Fitz asked.

Sophie pursed her lips. "Maybe another day. We're practicing with our photographic memory."

Keefe glanced at his best friend. "Sorry, bro." Sophie could've sworn he looked almost smug.

"I'm really sorry guys. See you tomorrow!" She waved over her shoulder at her two friends before light leaping away. At the very last moment, Keefe reached over and took her hand. Their fingers laced together.

-

Once the shimmering light around them had faded and Havenfield's familiar surroundings appeared, Sophie turned towards the Empath. "Do I want to know what that was about? Or..."

Keefe suddenly stepped toward her, wrapping his arms around her waist as his cloak settled over her shoulders. Sophie's breathing hitched when he pressed his forehead against hers and pulled her into a hasty kiss that left her sputtering and red-faced.

"Um. I—"

He blinked at her slowly with a slightly irritated expression. "You did invite me over yesterday; or did you forget?"

She cringed. "I'm really sorry—I forgot that Dex asked to come over, and, well, I can't say no to him all the time, and then Biana wanted to come too and then Fitz wanted to tag along..."

Sophie noticed Keefe tense slightly before he muttered, "I just... I feel like you don't have time for me anymore..." A blush rose to his cheeks as he stammered, "I mean—I get that you have other friends—but—"

She giggled softly. "It's all right, Keefe. I get it." She tilted her head up a little. "You were just jealous, huh?"

"Me? Jealous?" Keefe snorted. "As if."

Sophie raised an eyebrow, and he sighed, glancing sideways. "Okay. Maybe a little bit." 

Grinning, Sophie tugged him down by his cloak, ensuring that this time she was the one who initiated the kiss. She could feel Keefe smile briefly against her lips until they broke apart.

"... All right, that was nice, but can we go inside now before my dad catches us?"

"Yes please."