Chapter 18

“Insufferable,” Delilah grumbled to herself and Damian wondered if she even noticed her internal monologue was quite audible to the rest of the world, “Complete and utter-”

“Yes?” Damian asked before she could complete the sentence. He really did not want to know what she thought about him. The girl made the mistake of looking up and then immediately cast her eyes down. He could imagine her blush deliciously all over her face and neck.

“I was not speaking to you, your royal highness” She answered with her eyes lowered, “As a matter of face I am never speaking to you again. You are behaving-“

“From what I just heard, I thought you said you never wanted to speak to me again,” The Prince teased and instantly wished he hadn’t because Delilah crossed her arm and looked away pointedly.

They reached the end of their boat journey and the Prince scrabbled out with the precious cargo in one hand. He held his other hand out but she ignored it to place her feet ungracefully on the mud.

The walk back to the castle was dredged in a stony stony silence. They slowly trekked through the grass with Delilah looking everywhere but at the Prince. The man was wearing his clothes again but they were hardly hiding anything about his figure.

The Prince and the Lady snuck back into the castle carefully and to their surprise they encountered no one in the dimly lit corridors.  When they finally reached the library their luck, it seemed, had run out. The doorman who had accompanied Delilah was waiting for them. The man’s expression told them everything they did not want to know about their appearance.

“Why are you back?” The Prince growled feeling impatient, “We are not yet finished.”

“Lady Cecilia sent me to enquire about you, Lady Winsham,” The servant explained in a rush.

“I really should be in bed instead of gallivanting on a mission in the middle of the night-”

“A very fruitful mission.” Damian reminded her and displayed their catch of the night.  

“Well, yes,” She looked slightly repentant, “but one that could be done in the morning.”

“Yes, yes, paint me a villain if that makes you feel better,” The footman was looking at them exchange words with complete bemusement.

“It does make my heart feel lighter to blame you completely, your Royal Highness” Delilah’s voice was uncharacteristically acidic.

“Stop sulking,” The man rolled his eyes and then addressed his servant, “Here you go, clean this up.”

“Not with hot water,” Delilah added with a brittle smile as she watched the servant grimace from the horrid smell of the plant. .

“My men are not complete imbeciles.”

“I do wonder...” The Lady trailed off, meaning quite clear in what she was trying to imply but only moments later she shook her head and regained her sense of propriety, “I apologize. It’s the middle of the night. I am feeling ill tempered, dirty and tired which I might add is something you should have foreseen.”

”Wipe that smirk off your face,” The Prince abruptly barked at the footman who looked completely appalled at being caught.

“No, keep it. A smiling man is a healthier one.” Delilah said just to be contrary.  

“Go go, sleep. I promise I shan’t make you follow me ever again.”

“Thank you. I will be much obliged,” Delilah curtseyed demurely. It was amazing how their whole conversation had occurred without her ever meeting his eyes.