Chapter 28: Better Together (Final)

XXVIII. 

(Two years later)

"I know it's kind of last minute, but I figured before you all scattered over the country I would do it. My flight is literally in a few hours, is that alright?"

The phone had nearly dropped out of Lauren's hand when she heard the news, and now the girl was scrambling to the ground to retrieve it before it ended up at the bottom of a nearby storm drain. "Sorry!" She exclaimed, pressing it back to her ear. "I had a little bit of a heart attack there."

"So it's okay?"

"Ally, of course it's okay." Lauren nearly skipped an entire block of sidewalk she was so happy. "So call me when you book the ticket, call me when you board, then call me when you land so I can come pick you up!" She was grinning from ear to ear, and receiving a series of odd looks from some local merchants.

"Lo, there aren't enough minutes in the world for all that." Ally was laughing on the other end. "But I'll make sure to do my best."

Lauren couldn't help but release a little shriek of happiness, saying her goodbyes to Ally then turning her attention to her shopping. During the winter, the local market that Lauren went to would move all their produce inside, which was good considering the temperature of the air outside was cold enough to make a grown man cry.

She entered the tented building, immediately taken by the scent of fresh fruits, veggies and whatever international treat was brewing nearby in the deep fryer. The Latina ended up spending a good amount, her arms full of two heavily packed paper bags as she left. It was worth it; now that Ally was finally coming back to visit, and graduation was only a few months away, all the girls needed a little bit of a treat. Even if that treat came in the form of fresh strawberries.

Unlocking her car, Lauren placed both bags in the passenger seat and situated herself behind the wheel comfortably. She drove her way down the familiar streets, a pang of sickness hitting her when she realized that it she didn't have many of these drives left.

The plan wasn't too elaborate, but it had been thought out for years now. Med school was inevitable for both Lauren and Camila, and with their work hours, volunteer experience, high grades and test scores, both girls had received happy acceptances. Their arrangement was to attend together, find a cheap apartment and put all their efforts into their studies.

The others thought they were crazy to lock themselves into so many more years of tuition and classes, but the two of them were stuck in their nerdy ways. They would get that done with one another, hopefully get headhunted, then finally begin to settle down with their lives. Speaking of life, it was moving quickly, but the faster it did, the stronger their relationship became.

That wasn't to say there weren't a few twists and turns along the way, but nothing could pry the girls apart.

In terms of the other girls, each had planned out their own path. Normani, who had finally buckled down and accepted the fact that life was moving, had discovered a more fiery passion in her art than her psychology, and had been asked by a rather boisterous company to do some design work for them on the west coast. She also had herself a steady boyfriend, who was interested in many of the same things, and already living out there. Lauren was happy for her, but didn't waste every chance she had to give the proud man a sharp green warning if he ever stepped out of line.

Naturally, Normani agreed to move alongside a still single Dinah, who was setting her sights on teachers college. The youngest girl was on a mission to help the small elementary schools in and around her community begin to expand and blossom their programs for young children, and Lauren knew that if Dinah had a goal, it wouldn't be a goal for long. She also knew no matter how many boys the Polynesian threw to the curb, one day there was going to be someone that had what it took to stick around forever.